ESU Coordinating Council
January 13, 2016 10:00 AM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 10:00 AM

2. Roll call
Discussion

Staff: David Ludwig, Beth Kabes, Scott Isaacson, Deb Hericks, Rhonda Eis Guests: Ron Cone, Jamen Hall, BJ PEters, Craig Hicks, Gary Needham

3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Tech Plan
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

Nebraska Cloud Technology Plan

Discussion

Executive Director reviewed process with the Tech Plan items.

3.A.I. Multi-State Collaborative Efforts
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

 Nebraska Representatives:  Dean Folkers, NDE; David Ludwig, ESUCC; Scott Isaacson, ESUCC

The multi state grant is designed to build a sustainable model for future collaboration. States represented are Illinois, Nebraska, Clark County, NV and multiple Regional Information Centers in New York.

Discussion

The multi state grant (through Gates Foundation) is designed to build a sustainable model for future collaboration. Working to set up a collaboration model. People are pursuing the same things, and how can we collaborate on research and design on how we can create best practices, software, technology standards, etc. States represented are Illinois, Nebraska, Clark County, NV and multiple Regional Information Centers in New York. NE representatives are Dean Folkers, David Ludwig and Scott Isaacson.

3.A.II. Single Sign On Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Discussion

Continue to work getting people nine ESUs and sixteen schools are currently online. Weekly meetings to go over progress and updates. Their is a list of steps to become the next school/ESU to be brought on-board. They are currently a little ahead of the ADVISOR work that is being done. About half of early adopters are on-board.

Executive Director was invited to present to NATA (NE Association of Technology Administrators) - large districts of technology administrators. Need to keep communications strong with this group related to statewide initiatives.

Timelines: Early adopters district will start to stage data the early part of February. Pilot districts are all connected and looking to go into limit production this Spring. Next wave of early adopters will begin this summer/early Fall. Portal system is where there is the most work to be done. Continue to work as fast as they can to get applications, etc loaded. This part will be ongoing.

3.A.III. Cloud Deployment Model
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

The diagrams and revisions are meant to build a common language, to be used as needs assessment tool and a structure for enhanced services in the future.

Discussion

The attached diagrams and revisions are meant to build a common language, to be used as needs assessment tool and a structure for enhanced services in the future. This will help to come up with a deployment model. Technology Director reviewed the models that were attached.

3.A.III.a. LR264 Study
Committee Chair DeTurk
Attachments
Discussion

About two years ago NDE and ESUCC was completed statewide on the availability of technology, time spent, money spent, etc. Attached is the findings of the study and info graphic on study. Executive Director reviewed the info graphic with the committee. Committee to review study to help in understanding and communicating the process.

3.A.III.b. Multi-Tiered Deployment Model
Committee Chair DeTurk
Attachments
Discussion

The attached diagrams and revisions are meant to build a common language, to be used as needs assessment tool and a structure for enhanced services in the future. This will help to come up with a deployment model. Technology Director reviewed the models that were attached. Next steps are to keep communicating, finding our what needs, are and how they are being met, etc.

3.A.IV. Tech Plan Progress Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Discussion

Technolgy Director gave an update on the progress of the Tech Plan. He included a draft overview page, more simplified view of projects/tasks included within the plan.

3.B. Statewide Backup System
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

It appears there is interest from multiple ESUs and the ESUCC's own backup needs to pilot a statewide COOP backup service by placing a storage and backup server in Omaha at ESU 3 that is open to all ESUs and their school districts.  ESUCC would provide the base system, and implement a cost recovery model for the storage used by the ESUs and districts.  One option is to contract for the equipment with IlliniCloud, who would provide the base system for $15,000.  Usage under this plan would be $2/GB/year for full backup agent services with the CommVault software. This was discussed at the NOC meeting on November 12th, and the members have additional questions and suggestions for comparing similar solutions.  Scott Isaacson will prepare this information for the NOC and bring their recommendation to this committee for future action.

Discussion

Technology Director gave an update on process of the statewide back-up system. There is a need for the ESUCC but we want to include options for others entities to meet their needs. NOC will review at their February 17 meeting for review and will bring forth a motion in March. Technology Director would like to do a level analysis of what is available.

3.C. NITC Updated Action Plans
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

NITC_Docs

Attachments
Discussion

Gary Needham (ESU 9) reviewed the action plan for NITC Ed Council. They have been working to re-craft/re-frame their current plan. Their needs to include additional reporting, accountability information, optimization and security. Equitable costs of infrastructure across the state was one of their main focus, not finished but not the main focus of management currently. They are looking to create a portal so that schools/entities can see their usage statistics. Action items to include: Network NE: Prepare for the future of Network Nebraska as a statewide, multipurpose, high capacity, scalable telecommunications network that shall meet the demand of state agencies, local governments, and educational entities as defined in section 79-1201.01. Serve as the communication hub for existing and potential new Network Nebraska members. Digital Education Initiative: Create Professional development opportunities for all Nebraska educators to maximize student success through the innovative uses of technology in teaching. Address technical challenges for students in the transition from secondary to post-secondary education. Expand awareness of the need to address poverty as it relates to digital education.

3.D. Staff Reports
Chair of Committee
3.D.I. Scott Isaacson
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
Discussion

Technology Director reviewed his report. The hardware is all at NE Hall and installed.

3.D.II. Beth Kabes
Beth Kabes
Attachments
Discussion

BlendEd Director reviewed her attached report. BlendEd Committee meets weekly on Friday mornings. Discussion to include: BlendEd Retreat, BlendEd Pilot Project, LOR (Learning Object Repository). DEAC (Advisory Council) continues to work on updates on NVIS, EdReady Math/NROC are continuing to be promoted and increasing almost daily. NROC English Course needs to work through a LMS but starting to work with teachers. Continue to discuss Virtual Fields Trips. LOR Sub-Committee (includes thirteen members) to review possible solutions for the state.

3.D.III. Rhonda Eis
Rhonda Eis
Attachments
Discussion

IMAT reviewed her report. She reviewed the changes to Learn360 and the possibility that it could also be used for LOR. Learn360 has offered accounts for members of ESU 2 and ESU 6. If they have someone interested, please contact Rhonda to set up accounts.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn meeting at 11:39 AM passed with a motion by Gegg ESU 05 and a second by Lofquist ESU 09.