ESU Coordinating Council
February 10, 2016 10:00 AM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 10:00AM. Staff: David Ludwig, Scott Isaacson, Rhonda Eis, Deb Hericks. Guests: Jamon Hall, ESU 6

2. Roll call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Tech Plan
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

Nebraska Cloud Technology Plan

3.A.I. K-12 Federation Update
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

Nebraska Representatives:  Dean Folkers, NDE; David Ludwig, ESUCC; Scott Isaacson, ESUCC

The multi state grant is designed to build a sustainable model for future collaboration. States represented are Illinois, Nebraska, Clark County, NV and multiple Regional Information Centers in New York.

Discussion

Executive Director reviewed the K-12 Federation meeting that was held the end of January in Las Vegas. The goal is to have a framework for the projects to share resources across the United States. Center for Education Innovation from New York has joined the group. Deadline for this grant is the end of March 2016. This is a short pre-grant to develop the long term grant.

3.A.II. Single Sign On Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Discussion

Technology Director reviewed the progress with single sign-on. The six early adopters will be ready to go "live" within the next couple of weeks. Then a group of twenty-four will continue to work on get their information ready to go "live." There have been some updates to the uPortal and Technology Director will update our uPortal system with the updated information. Craig Hicks, ESU 13 will give a demonstration of the ESU level uPortal work. Microsoft have begin to offer more single sign-on options. We have a list of over 50 applications that will eventually become a part of the portal system.

3.A.III. Cloud Deployment Model
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

The diagrams and revisions are meant to build a common language, to be used as needs assessment tool and a structure for enhanced services in the future.

Attachments
Discussion

Technology Director discussed the diagrams and that we are trying to communicate out statewide so that everyone can be on the same page. Technology Director will be attending a NETA Technology directors meeting next week to discuss the cloud deployment model. We need to continue to review the LR264 study that was done a few years ago. This document should drive the conversations across the state.

3.A.IV. Tech Plan Progress Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Discussion

Technology Director reviewed the overview tab within the tech plan and updated the committee on progress. He gave an update on the SAN hardware. The SAN has been repaired and we are ready to move forward with the new equipment that was purchased last fall. LMS discussions regarding those available to schools with the sunset of ANGEL this summer. He discussed the back-up service that he has been researching. Looking at a way to help others across the state through this implementation. ADVISOR pilot districts are moving into production along with six of the early adopters. He met with some students from UNO (Capstone - software development) and they would like to help developing an Account Provisioning Tool.

3.B. Master Service Agreement 2016-2017
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

Master Service Agreement 2016-2017

2016-2017 PDO Budget Requests

Review sections of Master Service Agreement that apply to you Committee.

3.B.I. BlendEd
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

Blended Budget

See the 2016-2017 column.

Discussion

Committee reviewed the BlendEd budget. Would like BlendEd to remove the NROC/EdReady line item since the funds for that project are not part of their budget. Executive Direct or will continue to work with NDE for funding source for NROC/EdREady.

3.B.II. Instructional Materials Affiliate/Revisions
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

David Ludwig, Rhonda Eis, Beth Kabes, and Molly Aschoff are working to revise the MSA.

IMAT Revisions

Discussion

IMAT Director reviewed the affiliates revisions for their area of the Master Service Agreement for 2016-2017. Discussions to remove the LMS area from MSA due to this is now available through the Coop store. Discussion was held to have the flexibility of to discuss/revise after final decisions through an amendment. An update on LOR Committee discussions including Amazon, ISLE, and Learn 360 are some options. There is no one source that has everything needed for our specs, so possibility of a combination of sources to create our environment. TAG Affiliate budget extended to end of February. Will send out to Committee when received for their review.

3.B.III. NOC Affiliate
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

NOC Budget Requests are as follows:

$5100 - Safari Books Online

$21,000 - to be used for 7/$3000 training or towards large group training.

Some possibilities are as follows:

  • Ron Abel from IMS global specializes in Learning tools interoperability.  As we move forward into the Blend Ed area I would like to suggest a one-two day informational training from somebody in his office on the importance of standards as they apply to learning tool interoperability. Things such as LTI, common cartridge, and learning tools API development.  We can no longer allow for purchasing decisions to be made inside the realm of our experiences and knowledge; we need to step out into the standards world.  Anyway, might want to take a gander at this: http://www.imsglobal.org/cc/imscertified.pdf  $5000-$7000

  • Would it be possible to get Steve Midgley (US Dept of Ed) into our realm from the US Dept of ED.  He has managed to combine efforts from the Advanced Digital Repository (a Dept of Defense initiative) and combine it with indexing and cataloging k12 resources.  I think Steve would be much better for our group because he is of the system's analyst type profession. HIs director, Richard Collata, is the speaking visionary.  This is an exceedingly complex field having   profound effects on k12.  IF we want him we will have to go through Matt Blomstedt. Also, we would probably have to invite our partners from IlliniCloud which would be awesome.  The goal is to learn about the learning registry and how to deploy service to and from it. IT has tons of implications for our LORs. http://www.learningregistry.org.  Note: on the right hand side take a look at the CPALMS link.  Also, on the searching at the bottom type in a search item like "y intercept".  When the lesson plans/resources pop up note the various locations they are being pulled from.  Cost of hotel probably. Not sure there would be a speaking fee. Figure $1200 per day.

  • Bring somebody in from one of the many code schools across the nation to coach us on mobile application development.  There are many 1-2 day classes out there on introductory app development. $2400

  • Of course there is always the highly technical.  I am seeing schools who wirelesses are getting nailed with excess traffic.  We need to do something with traffic management because we are now at the point where many school districts have better connectivity to the internet than they have in their own wireless infrastructure.  It is possible to do this ourselves, but we could allocate funds for a network engineer $1200 per day for 2 days: about $2400.

  • Jon Becker said like to send somebody to powershell training.  It is replacing vb  

  • suggested a overview with the goal of building technical toolkit gui for microsoft environment.

  • Jon  talked about how the training would look.  Ben talked about beginner class and also suggested how it could look based on what is going on at LPS

  • Ben kind of liked the idea of zabbix.

  • Chad talked about the process of sending people to training for train the trainer model.

  • Statewide identity management. 

  • Statewide infrastructure.

Discussion

Committee reviewed the NOC budget requests. There is no change in requests from last year.

3.B.IV. TAG Affiliate
Committee Chair DeTurk
Discussion

TAG Affiliate budget extended to end of February. Will send out to Committee when received for their review.

3.C. Staff Reports
Chair of Committee
3.C.I. Scott Isaacson
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
Discussion

Scott Isaacson's report was given throughout the Technology agenda.

3.C.II. Beth Kabes
Beth Kabes
Attachments
Discussion

Committee reviewed her report. Discussed the joint meeting held with IMAT, DEC, TAG, BlendEd. Looking to combine the groups into Teaching and Learning with Technology, within that group has bucket/focus groups for the individual affiliates.

3.C.III. Rhonda Eis
Rhonda Eis
Attachments
Discussion

Rhonda Eis's report covered in other agenda items.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Discussion

Cloud based services - Lifesize

5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn meeting at 11:50 AM passed with a motion by West ESU 13 and a second by Gegg ESU 05.