ESU Coordinating Council
February 10, 2016 2:00 PM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 2:00 PM. Staff: David Ludwig, Wade Fruhling, Deb Hericks

2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. ILCD Collaborative Grant
Discussion

Executive Director discussed the ILCD Collaborative Grant. Steve Milliken sent an email out to everyone.

3.B. Statewide Behavioral Health Services
Committee Chair Polk
Rationale

A meeting was scheduled with Senator Campbell in November regarding Statewide Behavioral Health services.  A committee chaired by Marge Beatty and Larianne Polk has been developed to include:  

Marge Beatty

Larianne Polk

David Ludwig

Steve Milliken  (NDE)

Melody Hobsen  (NDE)

Michele Borg (NDE)

Gregg Gaden

Ellen Stokebrand

Darus Mettler

 

The charge for the committee is to organize and communicate statewide the current system of support for behavioral health and services provided.  From this organized system of support, a needs assessment will be provided for enhanced services and legislative support. 

 

Discussion

There will be a conference call on February 22, 2016 at 9:00 via Zoom to continue discussions on behavioral health. The Whole Child Project (NASB) is working to expand project.

3.C. Circle of Friends (Anti Bullying Program)
Co Chair Beatty
Attachments
Discussion

Executive Director discussed the Circle of Friends Project (Anti-Bullying Program for Special Needs Students.) There has been a request that this project come under the ESUCC as a fiscal agent. Executive Director to discuss with the ESPD Directors.

3.D. Master Service Agreement 2016-2017
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

Master Service Agreement 2016-2017

Review sections of Master Service Agreement that apply to you Committee.

3.D.I. Review Admin Fee
Committee Chair Polk
Discussion

Committee will suggest the Admin Fee to remain at $5000.

3.D.II. Review SRS Tier Structure
Committee Chair Polk
Discussion

Committee will suggest to increase Tier Structure by 5%. Committee to bring forth as a motion at the March meeting.

3.E. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.E.I. AAP
Rationale

  • We are looking into the possibility of working with UNO Computer Programming students to help develop some new features for AAP as part of their graduation requirements
    • Projects may include a reporting system and connection to NDE’s Operational Data Store

Discussion

Discussions of working with UNO Computer Programming students to help develop some new features for AAP as part of their graduation requirements. Projects may include a reporting system and connection to NDE’s Operational Data Store

3.E.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Content and Instructor pages:
    • Upgrading the forms used to submit work to instructors
  • Administrative and State Admin pages:
    • Improving the screen that administrators use to view user responses.
  • Supervising Paraeducator’s program:
    • Adding more student management options
    • Improve the efficiency of the system

Discussion

Discussion regarding: Content and Instructor pages: Upgrading the forms used to submit work to instructors. Administrative and State Admin pages: Improving the screen that administrators use to view user responses. Supervising Paraeducator’s program: Adding more student management options and improve the efficiency of the system.

3.E.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • Started working with Bellevue Public Schools to develop data import/export system
  • Met with NDE data support team to address several NSSRS reporting issues
    • We were aware of most of these issues, and already had Mike working on solutions.
    • We are working on an NSSRS FAQ page to help give our users tips on how to complete this report quickly with greater accuracy
  • Mike has identified and fixed a couple serious security risks.
  • New servers are being prepared to house our SRS database.This will provide a significant speed boost, and should mitigate the slowdown we see each May
  • Dawn and I are creating a new NSSRS report tutorial
  • Wade has started creating testing protocol for each SRS page.
    • This will help us improve the quality and consistency of our system testing
  • I enrolled in the Computer Programming program at Southeast Community College in January

Discussion

SRS started working with Bellevue Public Schools to develop data import/export system. SRS Staff met with NDE data support team to address several NSSRS reporting issues. They were aware of most of these issues, and already had Mike Danahy working on solutions. Staff are working on an NSSRS FAQ page to help give our users tips on how to complete this report quickly with greater accuracy. Mike Danahy has identified and fixed a couple serious security risks. New servers are being prepared to house our SRS database. This will provide a significant speed boost, and should mitigate the slowdown we see each May. SRS Staff are creating a new NSSRS report tutorial. They have started creating testing protocol for each SRS page. This will help us improve the quality and consistency of our system testing

3.E.IV. ILCD
Rationale

  • We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site
    • Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

Discussion

SRS Staff continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site. Their office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 2:55 PM. passed with a motion by Radford ESU 17 and a second by Uhing ESU 01.