ESU Coordinating Council
May 03, 2016 10:00 AM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Statewide Behavioral Health Services (Committee Update)
Committee Chair Polk
Rationale

A meeting was scheduled with Senator Campbell in November regarding Statewide Behavioral Health services.  A committee chaired by Marge Beatty and Larianne Polk has been developed to include:  

Marge Beatty

Larianne Polk

David Ludwig

Steve Milliken  (NDE)

Melody Hobsen  (NDE)

Michele Borg (NDE)

Gregg Gaden

Ellen Stokebrand

Darus Mettler

 

The charge for the committee is to organize and communicate statewide the current system of support for behavioral health and services provided.  From this organized system of support, a needs assessment will be provided for enhanced services and legislative support. 

 

Discussion

Committee Chair reviewed the goals of the Statewide Behavior Health. Training is concern. Need to get someone form NDE on the committee. The committee will meet to create some surveys. They will gain their direction from this survey. Schools are having problems having the personnel to deliver behavior health services. There is a need improve screening processes and other areas of improvement. The committee need to define the Tier 1 (school wide), 2 (kids that need some services), 3 (kids with more severe needs) and need to find a common language.

3.B. Assistive Technology
Committee chair - Polk
Discussion

Assistive Technology grants to possibly go through the ESUCC.

3.C. Statewide Training Needs
Committee Chair - Polk
Discussion

Statewide training needs/topics to have with KSB ie: Sped Law (Fall), Student Discipline (Spring), including bullying, Title IX (Fall), Business practices (Spring), Board ethics (February). Vet through appropriate committee.

3.D. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.D.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Wade and Michelle Borg completed a priority list of AAP upgrades
    • Dave Ludwig will meet with Dean Folkers to discuss funding options

Discussion

Wade Fruhling and Michelle Borg completed a priority list of AAP upgrades. Dave Ludwig will meet with Dean Folkers to discuss funding options.

3.D.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Highlights from Project Para Advisory Board Meeting on April 30
  • 820 new users in 2016.Best year ever!
  • Majority of the site has been upgraded to HTML 5
    • Benefits = Improved reliability, more readable and structured code, improved efficiency, better user experience
  • New Participant Management Screens
    • Very nice looking design
    • Allows instructors to easily organized trainees into groups and evaluate their progress
  • Discussed using Project Para in career academy setting
  • Project Para Conference will be held in Kearney on October 26, 2016
    • Also discussed holding a separate training over the summer near Omaha

Discussion

Highlights from Project Para Advisory Board Meeting on April 30: 820 new users in 2015. Majority of the site has been upgraded to HTML 5. Benefits are improved reliability, more readable and structured code, improved efficiency, better user experience. New Participant Management Screens: very nice looking design, allows instructors to easily organized trainees into groups and evaluate their progress. Discussed using Project Para in career academy settings. Project Para Conference will be held in Kearney on October 26, 2016. Discussed holding a separate training over the summer near Omaha area.

3.D.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • Focus has been on server performance and speed
    • We have been trying to mitigate/prevent the speed problems we run into every May due to increased user traffic by:
      • Moved our database to a brand new server
      • Moved our primary web server to where our database used to be
        • This has doubled our CPU and tippled our memory
      • Improved the efficiency of our database queries to make them less resource intensive
      • Identified/fixed a problem with our cache
        • This change alone reduced a two minute query search down to 15 seconds
      • Fine-tuned the database for better performance
  • Still trying to help Bellevue Public Schools address speed problems
    • Scott Issacson identified two types of problems
      • Delayed Responses that eventually respond
        • The steps listed in the first bullet will address this issue
      • Spinning circle that never returns
        • Wade will spend a day at Bellevue on their network to try to gather more information on this problem
  • Wade is learning HTML and CSS to help assist mike with development
    • This will allow Mike to focus on the more challenging database and system logic and Wade can focus on how it looks on screen.
  • Invoices will be mailed shortly
    • Dollar amount invoiced = $321,406

Discussion

The focus has been on server performance and speed. We have been trying to mitigate/prevent the speed problems we run into every May due to increased user traffic by: moved our database to a brand new server; moved our primary web server to where our database used to be and this has doubled the CPU and tippled our memory; improved the efficiency of our database queries to make them less resource intensive; identified/fixed a problem with our cache, this change alone reduced a two minute query search down to 15 seconds; fine-tuned the database for better performance. Still trying to help Bellevue Public Schools address speed problems. Scott Issacson identified two types of problems: delayed Responses that eventually respond and spinning circle that never returns. Wade will spend a day at Bellevue on their network to try to gather more information on this problem. Wade is learning HTML and CSS to help assist Mike with development. This will allow Mike to focus on the more challenging database and system logic and Wade can focus on how it looks on screen. Invoices will be going out within the month.

3.D.IV. ILCD
Rationale

  • We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site
    • Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

Discussion

SRS staff continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site. Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 10:30 AM passed with a motion by Uhing ESU 01 and a second by Beatty ESU 16.