ESU Coordinating Council
October 04, 2016 10:00 AM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 10:00 AM.

Staff:  David Ludwig, Deb Hericks, Scott Isaacson, Beth Kabes, Rhonda Eis.

2. Roll call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Tech Plan
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

Nebraska Cloud Technology Plan

3.A.I. ADVISER Update
Scott Isaacson
Discussion

Technology Director gave updates on the ADVISER project.  VST committee has started to meet again to find how to best share out with schools and discussing how best to organize the website.  Discussion on how best to work with the ticket system trying to make it more secure.  It was requested to keep ESU Administrators in the loop if there are issues or need to help move pilot along.  Working to finalize the Back-up software purchase.  Zend conversation to be completed by the end of the year.  Next semester, they will work to update to Zend 3.  SRS has been registered as an UNL domain, we will worked to get this moved to our domain/cloud service.  THE SAN has been replaced and received and currently running in our environment.  

3.A.II. K-12 Federation Update
Committee Chair DeTurk
Rationale

Nebraska Representatives:  Dean Folkers, NDE; David Ludwig, ESUCC; Scott Isaacson, ESUCC

The multi state grant is designed to build a sustainable model for future collaboration. States represented are Illinois, Nebraska, Clark County, NV and multiple Regional Information Centers in New York.

Attachments
Discussion

Technology Director shared updates on K-12 Federation.  No new funding available currently.  We have some new entities sign MOU to join the K-12 Federation.  

3.A.III. Single Sign On Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Discussion

Technology Director gave updates on the single sign on, thirty eight schools have been connected and expect a wave of new schools to be up this Fall.  There will be a training at the November NOC meeting to show how they need to help districts in getting on the system.  Discussion on White Space getting stuff over the Internet.  Will this have an impact on the single sign on progress.  Technology Director did not believe it would be a problem but may help in the rural areas.  

3.A.IV. Tech Plan Progress Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

Nebraska Cloud Technology Plan

Discussion

Technology Director reviewed the updates in the Tech Plan.  Continue to look at hosting costs, trying to project those costs and alternatives/weakness.  Learning Object Repository next steps will be working with ISLE to get system into our portal.  Learning Management System, there are five districts that not been moved off the ANGEL system and will continue to work with BlackBoard to work with those schools on a transition.  Coop continues to work with Canvas to get them into the Market Place.  NITC continues to discuss negotiations with Canvas regarding becoming a single statewide solution for LMS.    

3.B. Power School
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

A call was made to a Power School Representative at ESU 5 regarding the costs for support through the VST. Since members of the VST are working with school districts, the costs are included within the fee structure from the district.  

Discussion

Discuss with a Power School Representative at ESU 5 regarding the costs for support through the VST. Since members of the VST are working with school districts, the costs are included within the fee structure from the district.  



3.C. TLT By-laws/Mission Statement
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

TLT By-Laws

Mission: The mission of TLT is to connect educators with resources, best practices, and emerging technologies to transform teaching and learning.

Discussion

Dave is reviewing and revising bylaws with TLT leadership, will continue and bring back for review by this committee. Current bylaws may be generic in some areas, and plan to address some specific areas.  Logistics of meetings are being worked out and the relationship of focus groups and whole affiliate meetings.

 

3.D. Resources
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

 A review of the biennial budget request will be provided regarding needed resources.  A meeting with the Commissioner and the Executive Director is scheduled for Monday, October 3 to discuss this topic.


Discussion

A review of the biennial budget request will be provided regarding needed resources.  Executive Director met with Commissioner to discuss the biennial budget and what is being requested.  

3.E. NOC Committee Budget Request
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

Contact Person/Affiliate Chair: Brent Pickrel
Affiliate: NOC committee
Email: bpickrel@esu8.org
Phone: 402-887-5041 x1234
Contractor/Company: New Horizons
Presenter: New Horizons Video Collection
Email: BDiamond@omahanh.com
Phone: 402-331-4123
Fax Number: 402-331-4396
Address: 11422 Miracle Hills Drive Ste 200 Omaha, NE 68154
Point of Contact: Brian Diamond

Workshop Title: Online Anytime - IT Video Collection
Date of Workshop: Yearly subscription
Projected cost of workshop (include presenter fee): $3,500 - 35 licenses

How does training align with goals and mission of ESUCC and NDE?
Continual education at your fingertips provides training opportunities at the best times available for an
individual. The courses include many advanced security concepts, design and build, configuration, and
ideas of general school network environments.

 

 

 

 

Attachments
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend approval of budget request with an approval from at majority NOC member vote passed with a motion by West ESU 13 and a second by DeTurk ESU 02 .

Discussion

Discussion regarding the NOC Committee budget request.  NOC committee is discussing video source for training purposes.  A smaller group was supposed to review some of the video available.  Training need to be properly vetted through the NOC Committee (formal motion), then on to Technology Committee for approval and ESUCC for final approval.  The new proposal from Brian is slightly higher than the original quote.  

3.F. Staff Reports
Chair of Committee
3.F.I. Scott Isaacson
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
Discussion

Technology Director report in above agenda items.  

3.F.II. Beth Kabes
Beth Kabes
Attachments
Discussion

DEC/BlendEd Director reviewed her budget report.  Will have some data on NROC/EdReady available to share with committee.  Would like to define how EdReady is being used:  bell ringer, sub days, etc. 

3.F.III. Rhonda Eis
Rhonda Eis
Attachments
Discussion

Project Manager reviewed her report with the committee.  Resource Focus group will be meeting on November 11, 2016.  November 4, the committee will meet with Amazon.  

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn meeting at 11:00 AM passed with a motion by Lofquist ESU 09 and a second by West ESU 13.