ESU Coordinating Council
November 15, 2016 10:00 AM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll call
Discussion

Meeting called to order at 10:00 AM.

Staff:  David Ludwig, Scott Isaacson, Deb Hericks, Beth Kabes


3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. NITC
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

To NITC Ed Council Members who have expressed interest in Equity of Access :

The FCC recently received two petitions for waiver of E-rate rules to use existing E-rate supported services to allow Internet traffic originating at students’ homes to be directed to and carried over E-rate supported networks without creating an obligation on the applicant to cost allocate out the portion of the traffic attributable to off-campus use (which is currently ineligible).

The original FCC Request for Comment is readable from here:https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-16-1051A1.pdf

Dr. Ted DeTurk, Administrator
Educational Service Unit 2
Committed to Quality Service

Discussion

Committee Chair reviewed the meeting with NITC.  Discussion regarding E-rate regarding students needing internet at home, etc. 

3.B. Tech Plan
Committee Chair - Deturk
Rationale

Nebraska Cloud Technology Plan

Discussion

Technology Director gave updates on the ADVISER project.  Wednesday morning at 10:00 VST and EAP alternate weeks.  These committees are working to get organized on how to help schools progress.  VST is working on framework.  Good sequence of steps to bring a school onto single sign on.  Where schools get stuck is where we are working to improve the process. 

3.B.I. ADVISER Update
Scott Isaacson
Discussion

Regular bi-weekly online meetings for the Early Adopter Program (EAP) districts, production districts and Virtual Support Team (VST) are scheduled. EAP II districts have begun connecting to the ADVISER operational data store (ODS). The team has scheduled a face-to-face installation and training bootcamp for December 1st and 2nd in Lincoln at NDE. I would like to know more about what districts are doing after their data is available in ADVISER, such as rollout plans and experiences with end-users once the application is available to them. 42 districts have currently requested and received secrets and keys, which allow them to publish data into the ADVISER data store.

3.B.II. Single Sign On Update
Committee Chair - Deturk
Discussion

Fifty-three districts and ESUs are live in the production single sign-on framework and we are working through some discovered technical problems to roll out the production app launch portal. Andy Boell (NNNC), Craig Hicks (ESU 13), Adam Zheng and Ron Cone (ESU 10) are all working with us on rolling out and improving these systems. A proposal is on the agenda for today’s meeting to plan and distribute the role of the central identity provider system so that ESU VST members will manage the SSO connections for their districts.

3.B.III. Storage Area Network (SAN) Update
Discussion

Equipment has arrived and company will be onsite to install server end of the week. 

3.B.IV. Backup System Update
Discussion

Equipment has arrived and Technology Director will work with company to install servers later this week.  This equipment is slated to have a five year plan. 

3.B.V. K12 Federation Update
Discussion

The group is developing strategy for grant proposal(s) for next phase funding and long-term strategy for self-sustainability. Alliances have been formed with the IMS Global standards organization and an agreement is in pending with another, Access4Learning.

3.B.VI. Tech Plan Update
Discussion

Infrastructure and sustainability - technology has changed and within a few years will be looking at a new hosting solutions.  Virtualization technology has advanced - cloud hosting, virtual share, etc.  Technology Director will continue to analyze and research options.  Executive Director and Technology Director met with the NATA Group (large schools tech directors) last Friday.  NATA is interested in helping with policies and procedures.  Continue to work together to enhance relationships.  We continue to work with the five districts who still need to migrate off of ANGEL this year.  SRS conversion work will be completed by the end of November and begin testing in December.  During December the team will also work on user request.  Second semester the team will work on converting from Zend 1 to Zend 3.  Team will continue to move SRS off the .unl domain over to a Nebraska Could domain.  Tom Harvill had been a contractor with the SRS system to help with back-ups, etc.  He has been notified that by the end of December his services will no longer be needed. 

3.C. NOC Training/Meeting November 9/10
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

NOC Meeting Minutes

NOC Training Notes

Discussion

Committee Chair reviewed the NOC meeting and training agendas.  Both days of discussion were very good regarding responsibilities and expectations. 

3.C.I. Approval of NOC request
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

Re: [ESU Administrators] Schedule for ESUCC Committee/Board Meeting

The NOC recommends the ESUCC Technology Council designate single sign-on hosting as a NebraskaCloud service, separating the responsibilities of the ESUCC from the duties/responsibilities of the ESU-NOC members and focus in two areas:  

1) ESUCC to provide a Central IdP Proxy for statewide use and
2) ESUs/consortia provide regional IdP services or assist district to integrate local account directories
ESU-NOC and/or subcommittee will develop an action plan to describe any project steps and timelines.

NebraskaCloud SSO Hosting

 

A motion to present the recommendation as worded to the ESUCC Tech Committee was made by Jim Hopkins and seconded by Andy Boell.  Upon a verbal consensus vote the motion passed unanimously.

Dr. Ted DeTurk, Administrator
Educational Service Unit 2
Committed to Quality Service
 

Recommended Motion

Recommend approval of NOC recommendation to designate single sign-on hosting as a Nebraska Cloud service in these two areas: 1) ESUCC to provide a Central IdP Proxy for statewide use and
2) ESUs/consortia provide regional IdP services or assist district to integrate local account directories
ESU-NOC and/or subcommittee will develop an action plan to describe any project steps and timelines

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend approval of NOC recommendation to designate single sign-on hosting as a Nebraska Cloud service in these two areas: 1) ESUCC to provide a Central IdP Proxy for statewide use and 2) ESUs/consortia provide regional IdP services or assist district to integrate local account directories ESU-NOC and/or subcommittee will develop an action plan to describe any project steps and timelines passed with a motion by Bell ESU 10 and a second by West ESU 13.

Discussion

Committee Chair reviewed the diagram for the NebraskaCloud SSO (single sign on) Hosting.  The NOC group realize that Technology Director has most knowledge but realize that they need to step in and help him by being more active in helping schools before they go to directly to the Technology Director.  The NOC groups does not have by-laws so they will begin to work through that process/responsibilities as well.  This will make the whole system work better over time especially when we are fully implemented.  This will be paral

3.C.II. NOC - New Horizons Update
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Discussion

The training modules have been ordered and each person should be receiving their account information. 

3.C.III. NOC By-Laws
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

Mission/Vision:

Description:  NOC supports the extensive communications network within and among the ESUs and school districts.  NOC provides network security and protocols for their districts and ESUs and ensures the communications network for distance education, internet, email, and internet protocol phones are functioning and secure. Statewide, this group establishes common frameworks and capacities for assisting one another to help ensure the education network functions well.

Leadership:  Chair and Recorder and Liaison

Annually - Recorder becomes the chair and re-elect a new recorder

Discussion

NOC will begin the process of creating by-laws for their affiliate.  This will help the ESUCC Board to support their needs. 

3.C.IV. OCIO Contract Privity
Rationale

Contract Privity: The contracts as they are today are the responsibility of the school district to enforce. In order for the terms of the contract to be enforced by the state, the State (OCIO) [is offering to and] may need to become the customer for each circuit by Jan. 2017.  A transfer or current contracts would have to happen.  In the current situation the individual districts do not have any legal protection provided to them related to delivery of service from a provider.  

E-rate implications, budget,

  • The OCIO would not get involved with any Cat 2 or voice services

  • OCIO would not handle a district WAN or associated e-rate filing

Discussion

Technology Director reviewed the OCIO Contract Privity.  THE OCIO would bid the services and sign contracts and invoice the schools.  Cost of participation is a concern as most ESUs have staff that already help schools with E-Rate. 

3.D. BlendEd/Distance Education Procedural Manual - Review/Edit
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

BlendEd/Distance Education Procedural Manual

Discussion

Executive Director explained the process staff used to create project procedure manual.  The BlendEd/Distance Education is attached for review.  First reading in January with approval to follow. 

3.E. Learn360 Contract/TLT
Committee Chair - TeDurk
Rationale

Review Learn360 contract, the TLT will bring forth the action for approval in February. 

3.F. Staff Reports
Chair of Committee
3.F.I. Scott Isaacson
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
Discussion

Technology Director report throughout meeting minutes. 

3.F.II. Beth Kabes
Beth Kabes
Attachments
Discussion

BlendEd/Technology director reviewed her report.  The Distance Learning Coordinators will be meeting this afternoon.  The BlendEd pilot - Director continues to do observations.  She works with ESU person to do these observations.  Director states that this process is three-fold - School Accountability, ESU accountability, ESUCC visibility. 

3.F.III. Rhonda Eis
Rhonda Eis
Attachments
Discussion

Resources report is attached for review. 

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 10:58 AM passed with a motion by Bell ESU 10 and a second by Lofquist ESU 09.