ESU Coordinating Council
November 15, 2016 3:00 PM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 3:04 PM

Staff:  David Ludwig, Wade Fruhling, Deb Hericks


2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Behavioral Health Committee
Executive Director Ludwig/Chair Polk
Rationale

Add to the SPED committee under behavior health

 
Statewide Committee met May 23, 2016 - 10:00 via Zoom
 
This one is for educational personnel
Purpose of survey: 
To establish a baseline as to our educational perspective of statewide behavioral health
Identify if there are pockets of need and/or resources
Add: Resources currently available
Add: District
 
Will send out September 15, (return September 30) by members of committee to SPED directors and will review the results on October committee meeting,October 25 at 3:00 central time.
 
There will be a needs assessment will be launched by Division of Behavioral Health (DHHS) online and written sometime in next 2 weeks. 
Tamara will share results with us, and the results will be made somewhat public. 
Timeline for results and recommendations to DHHS end of June. Final draft will be end of July and ready for sharing after that.  
This committee will have results in the Fall
Tamara will share if our questions are repetitive on the DHHS survey
Tamara will send a link to DHHS survey to us so we are aware of the questions. 
We can send on from there
Casting a wide net (law enforcement, NDE, legal system)
 
This committee can crosswalk Educator survey results with DHHS survey to find trends and gaps in the Fall. 

Sent from my iPad

Attachments
Discussion

The committee has not met recently.  Working on putting together a summit for this summer to try and get all stakeholders aligned down the same path.  Two to three locations with a simulcast. 

3.B. Availability of Speech Pathologists
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

During the September Committee meeting, it was recommended to begin dialogue regarding the development of a retention/recruitment model for Speech/Language Pathologists.  

Discussion

ESU 16 Administrators reviewed discussion regrading shortage of Speech/Language Pathologists.  Begin discussing the development of a retention/recruitment model.  Try to keep within state of NE.  Use global therapy/telepathy options as a last resort.  NRSA is promoting a company from South Carolina.  Can we create our own telehealth model within the state.  Possible models in order of preference:  Face to face with facilitators, face to face with educated para professionals, telehealth.  NISLA is also studying the shortage of SPs/LPs.  Larianne will discuss with ESPD Affiliate. 

3.C. Program Support: Grants, Title Program
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

As per discussion from the previous meeting, it was suggested to provide dialogue regarding future grant opportunities, funding for Title Programs, etc.

Discussion

Discussion regarding other possibility of other people to present at our meetings. 

3.D. Report from ESPD Affiliate
Committee Chair - Polk
Discussion

They had a good ESPD meeting with KSB joining them for a portion of their meeting. 

3.E. SRS Procedural Manual - Review/Edit
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

SRS Procedural Manual

Discussion

Executive Director discussed the process staff used to create project procedure manuals.  First reading will be in January with second/final in February. 

3.F. Bus Drivers
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

As per previous meetings, concerns were expressed regarding availability of bus drivers.  

Discussion

Bus driver certification is inconsistent across the state.  Is there a shortage, why is there a shortage? 

3.G. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.G.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Finished Student Team Page
    • Added functionality that will allow districts to assign staff to students much faster and easier than before
  • Working through the remaining priority list
  • Will be applying for a new $25,000 grant this week

Discussion

Director discussed his report. 

They are working Student Team Page, they added functionality that will allow districts to assign staff to students much faster and easier than before.  They are working through the remaining priority list. We will be applying for a new $25,000 grant this week


3.G.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Para Conference was held on October 26th in Kearney
    • 325 in attendance
    • 31 sessions + Keynote
    • Most popular sessions were anti-Bullying and Behavior Management sessions
    • Carol McClain is going through evaluations and looking for ways to improve for next year.
  • Focus now returns to Project Para App
    • Working on Instructor pages now
    • Following up on registration requests and user questions

Discussion

Para Conference was held on October 26th in Kearney.  They had 325 in attendance, 31 sessions + Keynote.  Most popular sessions were anti-Bullying and Behavior Management sessions.  Carol McClain is going through evaluations and looking for ways to improve for next year. Their focus now returns to Project Para App: Working on Instructor pages and following up on registration requests and user questions.


3.G.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • We will stop contracting with Tom Harvill at the end of December.
    • Tom served us extremely well as our hardware and networking expert for over 10 years
    • Mike and Scott are also extremely skilled with hardware and networking
    • Due to overlapping skill sets, it made sense let Tom go.
      • Will save around $500/month
  • Zend Framework conversion is still highest priority
    • Should hopefully wrap up the process in the next few weeks
    • Currently working on Student Log page and New Student page
  • Fixed several challenging bugs
    • Fixed problem that prevented ex-CNSSP districts from creating student records
    • Fixed NSSRS report bug that reported alternate assessment status wrong
    • Fixed NSSRS bug that failed to report students who had recently exited
  • Set up a staging server which will allow us to combine the work of Mike and Maxim (am eventually Wade) into one server for testing.
  • Wade and Dawn are working on SRS knowledge base website

Discussion

SRS will stop contracting with Tom Harvill at the end of December.  Zend Framework conversion is still highest priority, should wrap up the process in the next few weeks.  they are currently working on Student Log page and New Student page.  Working on fixing some challenging bugs in the system.  They have set up a staging server which will allow us to combine the work into one server for testing. Staff are working on SRS knowledge base website.

3.G.IV. ILCD
Rationale

  • We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site
    • Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

 

Discussion

The staff continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site.  They email the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request.


4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 3:53 PM passed with a motion by Beatty ESU 16 and a second by West ESU 13.