ESU Coordinating Council
January 04, 2017 1:00 PM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 1:00 PM.

Staff:  David Ludwig, Deb Hericks, Wade Fruhling, and Scott Isaacson



2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Behavioral Health Committee
Executive Director Ludwig/Chair Polk
Rationale

Add to the SPED committee under behavior health

 
Statewide Committee met May 23, 2016 - 10:00 via Zoom
 
This one is for educational personnel
Purpose of survey: 
To establish a baseline as to our educational perspective of statewide behavioral health
Identify if there are pockets of need and/or resources
Add: Resources currently available
Add: District
 
Will send out September 15, (return September 30) by members of committee to SPED directors and will review the results on October committee meeting,October 25 at 3:00 central time.
 
There will be a needs assessment will be launched by Division of Behavioral Health (DHHS) online and written sometime in next 2 weeks. 
Tamara will share results with us, and the results will be made somewhat public. 
Timeline for results and recommendations to DHHS end of June. Final draft will be end of July and ready for sharing after that.  
This committee will have results in the Fall
Tamara will share if our questions are repetitive on the DHHS survey
Tamara will send a link to DHHS survey to us so we are aware of the questions. 
We can send on from there
Casting a wide net (law enforcement, NDE, legal system)
 
This committee can crosswalk Educator survey results with DHHS survey to find trends and gaps in the Fall. 

Sent from my iPad

Discussion

Executive Director reviewed the Behavioral Health Committee meeting in  December.  This committee is organizing a system of support for behavioral services across the state.  The committee will take the information they have gathered and share it with outside consultants (HHS, Beacon, etc.) that need to lead our mission of equitable services across the state.  The Behavioral Conference this summer will be on June 9, 2017.  This conference will be geared towards a stakeholders meeting.  They will broadcast this meeting out to Kearney and Scottsbluff area to get appropriate people attending.  There is a need for more mental health providers.  SPED Committee will continue to support but the lead will come from HHS, Beacon, etc. 

3.B. Availability of Speech Pathologists
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

During the September Committee meeting, it was recommended to begin dialogue regarding the development of a retention/recruitment model for Speech/Language Pathologists.  

Discussion

ESU 9 Administrator discussed the shortage of Speech Patholgists across the state.  Some ESUs are contracting with an outside company (Global Teletherapy/NCRSA) to compensate for shortage.  Have a service unit coordinate hiring a person to do within state telehealth possibly using retired SLPs.  Schools will need to access through their own ESUs and the ESUs would be the one to contract with the teletherapists.  This would only be an option where there is not enough SLPs. 

3.C. SRS Development Update
David Ludwig/Wade Fruhling
Discussion

Executive Director discussed the timeline for SRS conversion.  Everything is converted to Zend 1 (two versions behind).  They are currently testing and creating a list of issues and who will take care of the issue.  My the end of summer, hoping to have everything converted to Zend 3.  Applying for an AAP grant to help further this process.  SRS Director discussed the Advisory Board and presenting the new site to that Board.  They had a very good response from this group.  The SRS Staff have been creating training videos to be housed on a website for use.  The connection to the ADVISER Dashboard will come with the Zend3 conversion.  Advisory Board has created a list of enhancements that they would like added in conversion to Zend3.  Stuart Clark, ESU 1 will take the committee through a strategic planning process for long term goals. 

3.D. SRS Procedural Manual - First Reading
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

SRS Procedural Manual

Discussion

The SRS Staf created the procedural manual.  This is the first reading.  Will share this with the ESPD affiliate and the ESU administrators will share with their staff. 

3.E. PEP Grant
Committee Chair - Polk
Discussion

Executive Director will talk with NDE regarding the PEP Grant.  This would hopefully include the IEP Facilitation training that is done in the summer. 

3.F. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.F.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Final push to complete all remaining issues on AAP
    • Adding security certificate
    • Finishing up privilege levels
  • Still need to build in interoperability with ADVISER system
  • Applied for a new $25,000 grant

 

Discussion

Final push to complete all remaining issues on AAP to include:  Adding security certificate; finishing up privilege levels.   Still need to build in inter-operability with ADVISER system.  The SRS Director has applied for a new $25,000 grant. 


3.F.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Instructor Alerts
    • Reworked the instructor alert tool.
    • Instructors can choose to be notified whenever a participant completes a test or an entire unit.
  • Focus on improved usability
    • Clarity of content and instructions,
    • consistency of forms and site navigation,
    • error messages that give more information,
    • spacing and letter sizing,
    • color contrast, etc.
  • Before the end of the holiday we had sent out a post card to all school administrators and SPED directors with information about the program.
  • Initial planning for the next Para conference has started.
    • Looking for suggestions on topics

Discussion

Instructor Alert: Reworked the instructor alert tool.  Instructors can choose to be notified whenever a participant completes a test or an entire unit.  Focus on improved usability of website:  Clarity of content and instructions, consistency of forms and site navigation, error messages that give more information, spacing and letter sizing, color contrast, etc.  Before the end of the holiday we had sent out a post card to all school administrators and SPED directors with information about the program.  Initial planning for the next Para conference has started.  They are looking for suggestions on topics for conference. 

3.F.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • Wade and Dawn completed the SRS Training Center
    • Categorized list of training documents
    • Video and PDF formats
  • Conversion to Zend 1 is mostly completed
    • All major pages have been converted to Zend
      • Only one minor page is remaining
      • Still need to clean up bugs, and update some design elements
  • SRS Advisory Board Meeting – December 15
    • Demonstrated new Zend Framework pages
      • Board seemed very pleased with the progress
      • Board appreciated Mike’s improvements to the student team pages and District Tab.
    • Connecting to the ADVISER system is next major priority for the board
      • Would also like us to address the list of bugs which has grown large
  • Next Steps
    • Put finishing touches on AAP website
      • Mike is nearly finished already
    • Address bugs list
      • Currently around 20 items to address.
        • All are minor issues, but as a whole they degrade user experience.
    • Interoperability with State’s ADVISER system
    • Convert Code to Zend 3
      • This will allow us to take full advantage of everything Zend has to offer
    • Build Import/Export system for Northwest Public Schools
    • Complete backlog of user suggestions from Regional Advisory Board
      • Currently around 30 items
      • We can address most of these while we are updating code to Zend 3
    • Steam line database
  •  

 

Discussion

SRS Staff completed the SRS Training Center.  They have categorized list of training documents, video and PDF formats.  Conversion to Zend 1 is mostly completed.  All major pages have been converted to Zend.  Only one minor page is remaining.  Still need to clean up bugs, and update some design elements.  SRS Advisory Board Meeting – December 15.  Demonstrated new Zend Framework pages:  Board seemed very pleased with the progress, Board appreciated Mike’s improvements to the student team pages and District Tab.  Connecting to the ADVISER system is next major priority for the board.  Would also like us to address the list of bugs which has grown large.  Next Steps:  Put finishing touches on AAP website.  Mike is nearly finished already.  Address bugs list: currently around 20 items to address.  All are minor issues, but as a whole they degrade user experience.  Interoperability with State’s ADVISER system.  Convert Code to Zend 3.  This will allow us to take full advantage of everything Zend has to offer. Build Import/Export system for Northwest Public Schools.  Complete backlog of user suggestions from Regional Advisory Board.  Currently around 30 items.  We can address most of these while we are updating code to Zend 3.  Steam line database


3.F.IV. ILCD
4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Discussion

Teletherapy - Speech Patholgoists

5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 1:46 PM passed with a motion by West ESU 13 and a second by Erickson ESU 17.