ESU Coordinating Council
March 01, 2017 1:00 PM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll Call
Discussion

Call to order at 1:05 PM.

 

Staff:  David Ludwig, Wade Fruhling and Deb Hericks


3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Behavioral Health Committee
Executive Director Ludwig/Chair Polk
Rationale

Senator Crawford had a conversation with Larianne at the legislative day. 

Discussion

Nothing new for the Behavioral Health Committee meetings, continue to work on summit this summer.  Chair will share the NESOC (NE Systems of Care).  LB 552 for Children's Connection Program goes to hearing on March 17, 2017. 

3.B. Tele-Therapy (SLP)
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

During the September Committee meeting, it was recommended to begin dialogue regarding the development of a retention/recruitment model for Speech/Language Pathologists.  

Discussion

Chair and ESU 9 Administrator are working with Special Populations Affiliate Members to develop a retention/recruitment model with Speech/Language Pathologists.  They have run  into a few issues like encryption, etc.  this group will continue to work on model.  Zoom does support Encryption - need to turn on. 

3.C. Circle of Friends
Executive Director Ludwig
3.C.I. Meeting at NDE on March 7 @ 1:00 PM
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

Dave and Larianne will talk to NDE in regards to what needs to happen to have Circle of Friends under the ESUCC.

Discussion

Executive Director and Chair will talk to NDE on March 7, 2017 in regards to what needs to happen to have Circle of Friends under the ESUCC.

3.D. SRS/AAP Development Update
Executive Director Ludwig
Discussion

Program Director gave an update on SRS/AAP development. 

3.E. Approve SRS Procedural Manual
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

SRS Procedural Manual

Recommended Motion

Recommend approve SRS Procedural Manual

Discussion

Srs Procedure Manual approval has been tabled for this month.  Continue to review. 

3.F. Master Service Agreement 2017-2018
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

MSA 2017-2018

MSA Spreadsheet

Attachments
3.F.I. Approve MSA SRS Fees
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

Recommend approval of SRS Admin fee ($5500) and Tier Fees (5% increase) as presented. 

SRS Admin Fee includes staff salaries and to support the SRS Programs. This also helps with ILCD And Project Para needs.  The tier structure gives the schools access to SRS. 

Recommended Motion

Recommend approval of SRS Admin fee ($5500) and Tier Fees (5% increase) as presented

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend approval of SRS Admin fee ($5500) and Tier Fees (5% increase) as presented passed with a motion by McNiff ESU 05 and a second by Uhing ESU 01.

Discussion

Recommend approval of SRS Admin fee ($5500) and Tier Fees (5% increase) as presented. ILCD is listed as a Special Project, do we need to keep in MSA for this year and modify next year. 


3.F.I.a. Special Education Projects
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

$5500 per each ESU

This fee includes as described in MSA: ILCD, Web-based Project Para and Student Records System

3.F.I.b. SRS Fees (Tiered)
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

per student count - allows schools to access SRS System. 

Note from Wade: 
 
Hi Deb,
We generally discuss fees during our March meetings so we have not yet had that conversation.  However, a couple years ago, our advisory board approved an annual increase of 5% every year.  So with that in mind, here are how the fees will look for the next two years.  I am pretty confident this is what our fees will be.
 
2016-17 2017-18 2018-19
143 $150 $158
372 $391 $410
741 $778 $817
2225 $2,336 $2,453
2967 $3,115 $3,271
3709 $3,894 $4,089
7415 $7,786 $8,175
Thanks,
Wade
SRS

3.G. PEP Grant
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

The PEP Grant does NOT include the IEP Facilitation Training

Attachments
Discussion

The PEP Grant has been received but does not include IEP Facilitation training.

3.H. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.H.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Created new Admin Page
    • Can now generate new Interim Program Schools
  • Added design elements to Student Team and Team’s Student pages
  • Added Staging server
  • AAP should be operational this month
    • Remaining items to be addressed
      • Address saving problem on page 2 of AAP form
      • Update site with newly added Title 1 requirements
        • Handful of minor text changes
        • Rearrange and modify “Pre/Post Test” section on AAP form
        • Add “Assessment” section to AAP form
        • Update list of IPS Curriculums

Discussion

The AAP site has created new Admin Page.  They can now generate new Interim Program School.  They have also added design elements to Student Team and Team’s Student page Added Staging server.  AAP should be operational this month. The remaining items to be addressed are saving problem on page 2 of AAP form. They will update site with newly added Title 1 requirements. There are a handful of minor text changes.


3.H.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Project PARA upgraded both the computer and software that runs the program.
    • This is a procedure that requires quite a bit of planning and testing.
      • Changes had to be made to the summary reports that use aggregate data as the MYSQL database is using stricter rules regarding queries to the database.
  • Developing plan for making the site more accessible/easier to use for users.
    • Process requires a lot of research and analysis of how pages work for different users
    • From this process, we hope to develop a list of improvements and a timeline for implementing them.
  • Work as resumed on editing the site to update the code for more security and efficiency.
    • Content pages and part of the Instructor pages are done.
  • Project Para advisory board will be held on May 4th

Discussion

Project PARA upgraded both the computer and software that runs the program.  This is a procedure that requires quite a bit of planning and testing.  Changes had to be made to the summary reports that use aggregate data as the MYSQL database is using stricter rules regarding queries to the database.  Developing plan for making the site more accessible/easier to use for users:  Process requires a lot of research and analysis of how pages work for different users. From this process, we hope to develop a list of improvements and a timeline for implementing them.  Work as resumed on editing the site to update the code for more security and efficiency.  Content pages and part of the Instructor pages are done.  Project Para advisory board will be held on May 4, 2017. 


3.H.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • Improved design and usability for Student Team, Case Load, and District Tab pages.
  • Currently focusing on cleaning up bugs
    • 20 bugs have been identified
      • Some are very easy, other are fairly challening
    • Should be completed by March 16
  • Began planning phase for connecting to ADVISER
    • Holding regular support meeting with Jill Aurand (NDE) and Lyria (Double Line Partners)
    • Wade created a cheat sheet with all pertinent data
      • Special Education data requirements for ADVISER
      • How data should be coded
      • List of data that we could pull into SRS (in the future)
      • Special rules and considerations
    • Plan so far
      • Data will be transmitted once forms are finalized
        • Example:When IEPs or MDTs are finalized, we will immediately transmit data to the state
        • We will no longer have to store data and wait for monthly upload to take place
      • Will need to update our current NSSRS reports to display what data has, and has not, been received by the state.
        • Will need to add a button to allow manual data uploads as needed
      • Good News – NDE thinks it will be possible to import data into SRS by the 18-19 school year
        • Students can be created on SRS using this data
          • No more double entry for student data!

 

Discussion

Staff have improved design and usability for Student Team, Case Load, and District Tab pages.  Currently focusing on cleaning up bugs.  There are 20 bugs that have been identified.  Some are very easy, other are fairly challenging.  These should be completed by March 16.  The staff have begun planning phase for connecting to ADVISER.  They will have regular support meeting with Jill Aurand (NDE) and Lyria (Double Line Partners)  Wade created a cheat sheet with all pertinent data:  Special Education data requirements for ADVISER; how data should be coded, list of data that we could pull into SRS (in the future), special rules and considerations.  Data will be transmitted once forms are finalized.  They will no longer have to store data and wait for monthly upload to take place.  They will need to update our current NSSRS reports to display what data has, and has not, been received by the state.  They will need to add a button to allow manual data uploads as needed.  NDE thinks it will be possible to import data into SRS by the 18-19 school year.  Students can be created on SRS using this data, no more double entry for student data.

 




Attachments


Add Notes Notes

3.H.IV. ILCD
Discussion

Nothing to report.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Discussion

Get some type of report on discretionary funding for next year. 

5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn meeting at 1:50 PM passed with a motion by Beatty ESU 16 and a second by Erickson ESU 17.

Discussion