ESU Coordinating Council
April 04, 2017 10:00 AM
Executive Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 10:00 AM.

 

Staff:  David Ludwig, Deb Hericks, Priscilla Quintana

2. Roll Call
3. ESUCC Timeline
President West
Rationale

ESUCC Timeline

4. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
4.A. Innovation Grant
President West
4.A.I. Innovative Grant Timeline
President West
Rationale

The following timeline represents the development of the Innovative Grant Proposal:

October 4/5, 2016: ESUCC Board approval of an Innovative Grant Proposal

October 20, 2016:  Innovative Grant Pre-Application due date

November 4, 2016:  Letter received from NDE regarding the proposal not being a highly rated tier of Pre-Applications

November 16, 2016:  ESUCC Board recommended to continue with the application process.

December 14, 2016:  ESUCC Innovative Grant Full-Application due date

January 6, 2017:  NDE State Board of Education delayed the approval process of the Innovative Grant  (January 4/5 ESUCC Meetings)

February 3, 2017:  NDE State Board of Education approved the Innovative Grant recipients (February 1 and 2 ESUCC Meetings)

March 7, 2017:  NDE Innovative Grant Introductory Program Workshop for recipients of the grant  (March 1 and 2 ESUCC Meetings)

March 24, 2017:  Grant Evaluation review for the NDE Innovative Grant

April 4/5, 2017:  ESUCC Board Meetings and NDE/ESUCC Collaboration Day

April 10, 2017:  AQuESTT Pre-Conference for Innovative Grant Recipients

May 2, 2017:  Innovative Grant Progress presented to the ESUCC

 

Discussion

Executive Director reviewed the Innovation Grant timeline to date and moving forward.  We will continue to update timeline as needed and we move forward with the implementation process.  Staff will attend at pre-session at AQuESTT with the grant recipients.   

4.A.II. SIMPL Website Development Update and ESU Pilot Update
Larianne Polk
Rationale

SIMPL

Discussion

Larianne Polk and Nate McClenahan presented on the SIMPL pilot.  There are three phases to the pilot process.  There are five ESUs (ESUs 2, 7, 8, 10, 17) in the pilot.  Currently the leadership has been established, they have created their calendar and timeline, their planning meetings should be schedule and their data retreats for this process.  In March, they began going through the process of gathering their inventory of services.  April/May they will begin to cross walk their services to AQuESTT and other goals they need to align to.  The website should be functional for pilots by August 2017.  They reviewed the website for SIMPL. 

4.B. Final MSA 2017-2018
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

MSA 2017-18

Attachments
Discussion

Executive reviewed the changes to the MSA for 2017-2018.  All funding areas have been approved. Three areas of funding all ESUs are to pay to support those areas (PDO, BlendED Initiative, Lobbyist).  We reviewed the Learn360 charges as we are working on getting the contract on our fiscal year.  

4.C. 5G Verizon (LB 389)
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

A meeting was held March 21 with Rob Dickson (OPS Technology Director), Dan Schnoes and Mark Hansen, Scott Isaacson, Deb Hericks and David Ludwig regarding the Verizon 5G Program shared through Jason and Curt Bromm.  The intent of the meeting was to discuss the written material provided by Verizon and to develop overall questions and needs for a potential partnership.  With many questions left to be answered, it was recommended to schedule a meeting Jason/Curt Bromm and a representative from Verizon to discuss a potential partnership.

 

Attachments
Discussion

ESUCC Director reviewed the meetings and discussion that have been with the 5G Verizon bill (LB 389).  It was recommended to schedule a meeting Jason/Curt Bromm and a representative from Verizon to discuss a potential partnership.  Looking at other alternatives that are also available for access to all students.  

 

4.D. NWEA and Omaha Archdiocese
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

From:"Vickie K. Kauffold" <vkkauffold@archomaha.org>
Date:February 17, 2017 at 10:44:35 AM CST
To:"dludwig@esucc.org" <dludwig@esucc.org>
Subject:MAP users

 

David,

Here is the list as I know it today. I have given you the number of teachers in the building, but I don’t know if all of them will be trained in map. There could be special area teachers who will not be required to have and utilize the training.I look forward to meeting with you sometime in the future.

Vickie

Archdiocesan Schools to begin using MAP 17-18

Metro

 

# of teachers

Jesuit Academy

veteran user

15

St. Bernard

new user

13

St. Columbkille

veteran user

31

St. Patrick

new user

45

St. Stephan the Martyr

new user

48

St. Wenceslaus -Omaha

new user

48

Rural

 

# of teachers

East Catholic - Bow Valley

veteran user

4

St. Leonard - Madison

new user

3

St. Ludger - Creighton

veteran user

3

St. Mary's - Osmond

new user

5

St. Mary's - Wayne

veteran user

5

St. Michael - So. Sioux City

new user

18

St. Rose - Crofton

new user

9

West Catholic - Fordyce

veteran user

4

Uncertain still

 

# of teachers

Metro

 

 

St. Gerald

27

St. Matthew the Eval

16

St. Pius Leo

48

St. Margaret Mary

26

St. Mary Bellevue

15

Rural

 

 

Howells Catholic

4

St. Augustine

13

St. Isidore - Columbus

21

St. Wenceslaus - Dodge

4

 

Discussion

Executive Director will continue to have discussions with the Omaha Arch Diocese.  

4.E. Redesign Process/Timeline
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

During the January 2017 ESUCC Meeting, information was shared with Joan Wade, AESA Executive Director, regarding the AESA Redesign Process.  The ESUCC was introduced to the possible strategy for a redesign (purpose) of ESUCC and 17 ESU's.  

 

As per the ESUCC Executive Committee, it was suggested to proceed with the Strategic Plan first and wait for other components of the redesign process following the 2017 Legislative Session.  

4.E.I. NDE Strategic Plan
Executive Director Ludwig
Attachments
Discussion

ESUCC/NDE Collaboration Day will focus on unpacking the NDE Stratiegic Plan.  

4.F. NE 150 Celebration
President West/Executive Director
Rationale

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Regan Anson <regan@ne150.org> wrote:

Hi, David! Thanks for your patience. I have a couple of questions for the ESUs. First, it looks like the printing of the Atlas for 4th graders will be complete the first week of April  - far earlier than what I originally anticipated. So you know, we are still on track for a June/July shipment of the Chief Standing Bear book for 5th graders.

My first question is, can the ESUs accommodate having the Atlas shipped to them in April? There are around 72-75 books per box. Each box weighs approximately 35 pounds. The printer will likely use a courier service, as it’s less expensive than UPS or the USPS. According the spreadsheet and numbers you were gracious enough to send our way, that will mean some ESU locations will receive 14 boxes or fewer while others have to deal with as many 89. 

The second question is how do we want to communicate with teachers about the distribution plan? Do we want to have one cohesive plan among all ESUs or does each ESU want to do their own thing?  

The accompanying curriculum for both the Atlas and the Standing Bear book will be available on our website under a Teacher & Education Resources link at www.ne150.org. We will have a variety of other resources there, including curriculum for our Mobile Children’s Museum, I Am Nebraska, Now You Know Nebraska and instructions for applying for Nebraska Experience Grants. We will also have a variety of links to other interesting Nebraska-centric educational resources. 

We are going to provide digital copies of both books on the site. Due to copyright, the Standing Bear book must be password protected. (We have the question about password protecting the Atlas being considered by Dr. Bertolas at this time.) My third question for you is, how best to distribute the password to 5th grade teachers who wish to download a digital copy of the Standing Bear book?  Do we provide it to the ESU and require teachers to retrieve it from their local ESU provider?

A fourth question is, does each ESU want to designate an individual in their system to deal with questions/concerns/issues regarding these projects?  If so, perhaps we should list that person on our website as a point of contact if you are amendable.

Please discuss among your group and let me now how you would like to proceed. Thank you again for working with us on this project. We are so grateful for your assistance.

 

Regan Anson | Executive Director
Nebraska 150 Celebration
201 N 8th St. Suite 215
Lincoln, NE 68508
http://www.ne150.org/ | regan@ne150.org | 402.440.4451
  

Discussion

Executive Director reviewed the email received from Regan Anson.  Can the ESUs handle the Atlases to be delivered in April?  The Atlases will be delivered to the ESUs.  How to we want to communicate with teachers.  Each ESU will do their own communication with their schools.  There will be a digital copies to schools.  Each ESU will work through one contact person who will have the password.  Each ESU will have a contact person who will work with the schools.      

4.G. Approve ESUCC Programs/Affiliate Procedures
President West
Rationale

Coop Procedure Manual

PDO Affiliates

BlendEd/Distance Education

SRS Procedural Manual

Recommend the Executive Director develop and maintain procedural manuals which outline day to day operations of the projects overseen by the ESUCC

Recommended Motion

Recommend the Executive Director develop and maintain procedural manuals which outline day to day operations of the projects overseen by the ESUCC

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend the Executive Director develop and maintain procedural manuals which outline day to day operations of the projects overseen by the ESUCC passed with a motion by Schnoes ESU 03 and a second by Lofquist ESU 09.

Discussion

Executive Director will develop and maintain procedural manuals which outline day to day operations of the projects overseen by the ESUCC

4.H. ESUCC/KSB Trainings for 2017-2018
President West
Rationale

$1000/ESU with a cap of $10,000

KSB to handle onsite and can invite schools to onsite if ESU is not participating.

 The topics KSB would propose for sure the KSB continuing education webinars for next year:
  • Labor Law (something focused on what bookkeepers need to know about overtime, payroll, etc)
  • Legal Review of Teacher Evaluation and Remediation in the Age of ESSA and AQuESST
  • The Latest and Greatest on Section 504
  • FMLA/ADA/Workers Compensation Issues
  • Title IX Coordinator Training
The Survey Monkey results and other informal feedback we've received would also indicate interest in one or more of the following:
  • Student Records/Personnel Records/Public Records
  • Transportation Issues related to both general ed and special ed students
  • Staff and Student Handbooks
  • Contract Basics

Attachments
Discussion

Executive Director shared the KSB trainings that have been suggested for next year.  Those currently be discussed:

  • Labor Law (something focused on what bookkeepers need to know about overtime, payroll, etc)
  • Legal Review of Teacher Evaluation and Remediation in the Age of ESSA and AQuESST
  • The Latest and Greatest on Section 504
  • FMLA/ADA/Workers Compensation Issues
  • Title IX Coordinator Training

Other possibilities may be:  

  • Student Records/Personnel Records/Public Records
  • Transportation Issues related to both general ed and special ed students
  • Staff and Student Handbooks
  • Contract Basics


4.I. Buffet Early Childhood Institute
Executive Director Ludwig
Attachments
Discussion

Executive Director shared the Buffet Early Childhood Institute and Workforce Commission outcomes.  The goal will be to put together an action plan over three years.  ESUs to share with their schools/staff.  

5. Next Meeting Agenda Items
6. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 10:59 AM. passed with a motion by Schnoes ESU 03 and a second by Beatty ESU 16.