ESU Coordinating Council
April 04, 2017 12:00 PM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 12:00 PM.

Staff:  David Ludwig, Deb Hericks, Wade Fruhling

Guests: Steve Miliken


2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Behavioral Health Committee
Executive Director Ludwig/Chair Polk
Rationale

Senator Crawford had a conversation with Larianne at the legislative day. 

3.A.I. Behavioral (Mental) Health Survey Report
Executive Director Ludwig
Attachments
Discussion

Committee Chair discuss the Behavioral/Mental Health current discussions.  Dan Schnoes shared the survey report with the committee.  Please share report with your staff/schools.  

3.A.II. School Mental Health Summit
Executive Director Ludwig
Attachments
Discussion

The Behavioral Health Committee is working on the School Mental Health Summit on June 9, 2017.  Host site will be ESU 3 and will broadcast out to ESU 10 and 13.  They will send invites out and try to hold group to 75-100.  

3.B. Tele-Therapy (SLP)
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

Global Teletherapy

 During the September Committee meeting, it was recommended to begin dialogue regarding the development of a retention/recruitment model for Speech/Language Pathologists.  

Attachments
Discussion

Committee discussed Global Therapy that is being used with NCRSA.  Executive Director is having discussion with Global Therapy and Jon Haben, NCRSA.  With Global Therapy, you will need to hire a para educator.  They do not to the paperwork (IEP's, etc.) Face to face solutions are the best solution, when possible.  Larianne Polk will be sending out a Google Form to gather information regarding shortages across the state.  We will continue to discuss SLPs.  

3.C. Circle of Friends
Executive Director Ludwig
Discussion

Committee Chair will continue to gather more information on the Circle of Friends Partnership.  

3.C.I. Meeting at NDE on March 7 @ 1:00 PM
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

Dave and Larianne will talk to NDE in regards to what needs to happen to have Circle of Friends under the ESUCC.

3.D. SRS/AAP Development Update
Executive Director Ludwig
3.D.I. Strategic Planning Process - June 2017
Executive Director Ludwig
3.E. PEP Grant
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

The PEP Grant does NOT include the IEP Facilitation Training

Attachments
3.F. IEP Facilitation Training
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

3 day IEP Facilitation ($12,500 - this is now $13,750) for new people and the 1 day Refresher Course ($1,500 and this is now $4,500)
 

Attachments
3.G. Report on Discretionary Funding for Next Year
Steve Milliken, NDE
Discussion

Steve Milliken, NDE was present to discuss discretionary funding.  They are currently reviewing what is being used through the state with these funds.  They are going to build in an accountability system to these grants/funds.  They will continue to clean-up the process, needed changes will happen in 2018-2019.

3.H. LB 645 - Dyslexia as a disability category
Steve Milliken, NDE
Rationale

LB645

Attachments
Discussion

Steve Milliken, NDE was present to discuss LB645.  It help to define dyslexia.  It will bring more attention to what dyslexia.  They will need to open up Rule 51 in order to change.  State Board has had people continually on needed support for children with dyslexia.  Mandate for screening for dyslexia.  

3.I. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.I.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Met with Jill Aurand and Ginny Carter from NDE for Q&A session
    • We received a lot of good information
    • NDE still has make some final decisions before we can start moving forward
      • i.e. Should AAP data get sent directly to ADVISER or sent back to resident school district?
      • We will focus on SRS to ADVISER first while they are working out these details
  • Still need to add the latest Title 1 changes
    • This will be our top priority
      • AAP should be ready for training by mid-April

Discussion

Coop Director reviewed that he met with Jill Aurand and Ginny Carter from NDE for Q&A session.  NDE still has make some final decisions before we can start moving forward.  They will focus on SRS to ADVISER first while they are working out these details. They still need to add the latest Title 1 changes.  AAP should be ready for training by mid-April

3.I.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Updating State-wide participations reports page.
    • Reviewing and revising reports to make sure they are up to date and labeled clearly
  • Updating Special Education Unit
    • Update current terminology
    • Include current legislative information
    • Ensure data is accurate and easy to understand

 

Discussion

SRS Director discussed Paraeducator Conference will be held on October 10, 2017 in Kearney.  Para of the Year Nominations begin April 3rd, nominates at this address.  http://para.unl.edu/conference They are updating State-wide participations reports page.  they are also reviewing and revising reports to make sure they are up to date and labeled clearly.  They will be updating Special Education Unit with current terminology, legislative information and ensure data is accurate and easy to understand


3.I.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • Gretna will be joining SRS next year!
    • Only non-SRS districts are LPS, OPS, Westside, and Millard
      • Westside may join once we are able to connect to ADVISER
  • McKayla LaBorde, the new Special Ed Director at ESU#3 joined our Advisory Board
  • Eliminated many bugs that we have been putting off as we focused on Zend Framework conversion
  • Regional Advisory Board Meeting was on March 16
    • Demonstrated new development work
    • Shared plan for SRS/ADVISER Interoperability
      • Received good feedback
      • We now have a very solid plan for moving forward
    • Will hold Strategic Planning meeting on June 15
  • SRS to ADVISER
    • Mike and Wade will break up the entire project into smaller development tasks
      • MindShine will build individual pieces
      • Mike will assemble the pieces into the larger system
      • Wade will do testing and design
    • Dawn and Wade will generate clean test data
      •  Will be useful when testing ADVISER and ZEND 3 projects
    • NDE has provided a testing environment that we will use to make sure our data is coming through correctly
    • DoubleLine Partners Is flying up to meet with us on April 18th
  • Plan for the next 19 weeks
    • Wade, Scott, and Mike met to develop basic timelines for completing our various projects by the week of July 21st.
      • 4/1 to 4/15 = Complete AAP Website (except ADVISER)
      • 4/16 to 5/15 = SRS/ADVISER Interoperability
      • 5/15 to 6/14 = SRS/AAP Interoperability
      • 6/9 to 6/21 = Carefully push new features live
      • 6/21 to 7/21 = Begin Zend 3 / Database work
      • 7/21 = deadline for releasing any new work (per boards request)
  • We will have $30,000 to spend on supplemental developers at MindShine
    • At $45/hr, that equates to 666 hours of programming from now until July 1st.

 

Discussion

SRS Director discussed that Gretna will be joining SRS next year.  The only non-SRS districts are LPS, OPS, Westside, and Millard.  Westside may join once we are able to connect to ADVISER.  McKayla LaBorde, the new Special Ed Director at ESU#3 joined our Advisory Board.  They are working to eliminate many bugs that we have been putting off as we focused on Zend Framework conversion.  Regional Advisory Board Meeting was on March 16.  they will hold Strategic Planning meeting on June 15  SRS to ADVISER - Mike and Wade will break up the entire project into smaller development tasks.  MindShine will build individual pieces.  There is a possibility to use university students to help.  Mike will assemble the pieces into the larger system.  Wade will do testing and design.  Dawn and Wade will generate clean test data.  NDE has provided a testing environment that we will use to make sure our data is coming through correctly.  DoubleLine Partners Is flying up to meet with us on April 18th.  Plan for the next 19 weeks - Wade, Scott, and Mike met to develop basic timelines for completing our various projects by the week of July 21st.

  • 4/1 to 4/15 = Complete AAP Website (except ADVISER)
  • 4/16 to 5/15 = SRS/ADVISER Interoperability
  • 5/15 to 6/14 = SRS/AAP Interoperability
  • 6/9 to 6/21 = Carefully push new features live
  • 6/21 to 7/21 = Begin Zend 3 / Database work
  • 7/21 = deadline for releasing any new work (per boards request






 




3.I.IV. ILCD
4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 1:08 PM passed with a motion by Allen ESU 19 and a second by Beatty ESU 16.