ESU Coordinating Council
May 02, 2017 10:00 AM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 10:00 AM.

Staff:  David M Ludwig, Deb Hericks

2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. NDE Update
Executive Director Ludwig
3.B. Behavioral Health Committee
Executive Director Ludwig/Chair Polk
Rationale

Senator Crawford had a conversation with Larianne at the legislative day. 

Discussion

Executive Director and ESU 3 Administrator discussed the behavioral health survey report and the school mental health summit.  Invitations were sent out for the summit last Friday.  Please RVSP so they can beginning planning at each site.  

3.B.I. Behavioral (Mental) Health Survey Report
Executive Director Ludwig
Attachments
3.B.II. School Mental Health Summit
Executive Director Ludwig
Attachments
3.C. Tele-Therapy (SLP)
Committee Chair - Polk
Rationale

Global Teletherapy

 During the September Committee meeting, it was recommended to begin dialogue regarding the development of a retention/recruitment model for Speech/Language Pathologists.  

Attachments
Discussion

Executive Director is in communication with Jon Haben, NCRSA and Alan Good with Global Therapy.  Executive Director will contact to let them know we are not interested at this time.  

3.D. Circle of Friends
Executive Director Ludwig
Discussion

No new information at this time.  

3.E. Innovative Grant: SRS/AAP Development Update
Executive Director Ludwig
Discussion

Technology Director reviewed the Innovation Grant and how AAP will be a part of that process.  They are discussing a learning record store, this process will make data more real time.    

3.E.I. Strategic Planning Process - June 2017
Executive Director Ludwig
Discussion

Executive Director discussed the SRS will go through a strategic planning process this summer.  

3.F. IEP Facilitation Training
Executive Director Ludwig
Rationale

3 day IEP Facilitation ($12,500 - this is now $13,750) for new people and the 1 day Refresher Course ($1,500 and this is now $4,500)
 

Attachments
3.G. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.G.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Met with Jill Aurand and Ginny Carter from NDE to discuss ADVISER Interoperability
    • Talked about technical details for connecting AAP to ADVISER
    • NDE still needs to decide if AAP will send student data back to the resident school district or send directly to ADVISER.
      • We need this answer before we can continue
      • Michele Borg will talk to her contacts at NDE to try to expedite this decision and push for AAP talking directly to ADVISER.
  • Wade and Michele Borg will provide a training to all Interim-Program Schools on June 5th.  

Discussion

SRS Team met with Jill Aurand and Ginny Carter from NDE to discuss ADVISER Interoperability. They talked about technical details for connecting AAP to ADVISER.  NDE still needs to decide if AAP will send student data back to the resident school district or send directly to ADVISER.  SRS will need this answer before they can continue.  Michele Borg will talk to her contacts at NDE to try to expedite this decision and push for AAP talking directly to ADVISER.  Wade Fruhling and Michele Borg will provide a training to all Interim-Program Schools on June 5th.  

3.G.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Continuing work on Special Education unit
    • Adding new lesson about school accountability using:
      • Nebraska’s AQUEST model
      • Elementary and Secondary Education Act
      • Title 1
      • School Improvement Plans
    • For each topic (above) will be a lesson that asks
      • What is it?
      • Why is it important?
      • How does it affect paraeducators?
      • How does it work?
  • Nebraska Paraeducator Conference planning
    • Registration opens on June 1st
    • They will be sending info to Project PARA users, past attendees, and school administrators soon

Discussion

They continue to work on Special Education unit.  They are adding new lesson about school accountability using:  Nebraska’s AQUEST model, Elementary and Secondary Education Act, Title 1, School Improvement Plans.  For each topic (above) will be a lesson that asks: What is it?;  Why is it important?;  How does it affect paraeducators?;  How does it work?  Nebraska Paraeducator Conference planning.  Registration opens on June 1st.  They will be sending info to Project PARA users, past attendees, and school administrators soon.

3.G.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • Adviser Interoperability has been the primary focus
    • Scott and Mike
      • Took Wade’s overall plan and turned it into detailed Statement of Work for the MindShine and DoubleLine Partner developers
      • Set up the ADVISER Sandbox so that we can test the code and ensure everything is working as planned
    • Wade and Dawn
      • Creating organized student data for testing
      • Reviewing NSSRS issues in an effort to anticipate future ADVISER issues
    • Workday with DoubleLine Partners and NDE Data representatives
      • Discussed our plans for ADVISER Interoperability
      • Technical assistance
      • Discussions on how data will be displayed on ADVISER dashboard
      • Lots of Q&A
    • DoubleLine Partners has money from Dell foundation to help us with some development
  • Pushed our recent bug fixes live
  • Began process of writing up Zend 3 conversion plans
    • Re-evaluate each page to identify areas for improvement
    • Factor in user suggestions from previous year
    • Evaluate Jquery libraries and free dashboards for possible use
    • Researching usability and user experience websites and publications

 

 

 

 

 

Discussion

Adviser Interoperability has been the primary focus for the SRS Team. They took the overall plan and turned it into detailed Statement of Work for the MindShine and DoubleLine Partner developers.  They set up the ADVISER Sandbox so that we can test the code and ensure everything is working as planned.  SRS Staff have been creating organized student data for testing; reviewing NSSRS issues in an effort to anticipate future ADVISER issues.  They had a workday with DoubleLine Partners and NDE Data representatives.  They discussed our plans for ADVISER Interoperability; Technical assistance, Discussions on how data will be displayed on ADVISER dashboard and Lots of Q&A.  DoubleLine Partners has money from Dell foundation to help us with some development.  The SRS team pushed our recent bug fixes live.  They have begun the process of writing up Zend 3 conversion plans to include: Re-evaluate each page to identify areas for improvement; Factor in user suggestions from previous year; Evaluate Jquery libraries and free dashboards for possible use and Researching usability and user experience websites and publications.







3.G.IV. ILCD
Rationale

Nothing new to report at this time.  

Discussion

Nothing new to report at this time.  

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 10:29 passed with a motion by McNiff ESU 05 and a second by Uhing ESU 01.