ESU Coordinating Council
September 03, 2014 2:00 PM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll call
Discussion

Staff: Deb Hericks

Visitors: Jody Phillips (ESU 2 Rep)

3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
Attachments
3.A. LMS Updates
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
3.A.I. ESUCC Staffing/Transition
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Discussion

Scott Isaacson gave the report regarding the Learning Management System (LMS).

Changes/Updates to the budget will allow for the ability to contract with someone to assist with the LMS.

3.A.II. ANGEL/Blackboard Program Updates
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Discussion

Regarding Angel, in august an update was made. This is possibly the last update for this software. Therefore, Angel might not be an option in the not so distant future.
Scott also reported that they have been working with BlackBoard to migrate courses from Angel.

3.A.III. ANGEL/BlackBoard Informational Meetings
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
3.A.IV. ANGEL/BlackBoard Contract
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Rationale

Discuss two month extension of contract and new contract for 2014-2015. 

Attachments
Discussion

Gordon Rothmeyer reported that a survey has been sent to gather information about LMS. Scott reported that the survey information would assist us in moving in the right direction as it pertains to a “statewide model.” Additionally, it was shared that the cost of BlackBoard will not change, but the number of licenses will decrease (somewhere around 26,000 users at this point). Furthermore, BlackBoard is looking to move their service to the “Cloud.”

3.A.V. LMS Vision/Funding
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Discussion

Dave Ludwig has been working with Commissioner Bloomstedt regarding funding options for an LMS system. Discussions will continue, and there appears to be lots of possibilities. Dave Ludwig asked the group for feedback regarding what the LMS should look like in the future.

3.A.VI. LMS Statewide Pilot Initiative
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Discussion

We will pilot several LMS systems in the state. ie: Schoology, Canvas, Moodle, ANGEL, BlackBoard, etc. Hope to create a team to review these systems and come to a statewide consensus on LMS.

Wayne Bell said schools use different products and that the LMS products being used required support. The need for “support” will not change. Bob Uhing shared that as we move forward any LMS system should meet certain (minimum)(IMS Global) “standards.” A recommendation was made that a “sub-committee” meet, establish deadlines and determine what LMS Systems would meet Federated Identity Management criteria. Additionally, there was a long discussion regarding the “support” of any product, or products, that might be chosen by a sub-committee.
Dr. Bell shared that BlendEd (and it’s future) needs to be a part of the conversation.

The subcommittee will be given a timeline of 60 days to complete their recommendations and should report back by (November).

Subcommittee

Craig Hicks
Chris Goode
Jason Everett,
Dr. Curtis Case
Kirk Langer (or LPS representative)
Dawn Ferreira from OPS; and
ESU 3 representatives

A specific “charge” for the committee will be discussed and developed by tomorrow afternoon September 4).

3.B. Technology Survey
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
3.B.I. BrightBytes
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Discussion

Dave Ludwig reported that Kristine Swanson from Bright Bytes has shared that Bright Bytes would like to go “state-wide.” The cost would be around $250,000 or $0.75/student. Dave indicated through recent conversations he has had with NDE that Dean Folkers was initially unaware of the capabilities of Bright Bytes.
Dave will continue to work with Matt Blomsted regarding possible funding for a statewide initiative.

3.B.II. NDE: Ed-Fi Perceptual Survey
David Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
3.C. NOC Report
Chair Bob Uhing
Discussion

Ron Cone shared information pertaining to NOC. One of the recent topics included shared “unique” services that can be located at individual service units. More specifically, each service unit would specialize in one particular area of expertise.

3.C.I. E-Rate Updates
Chair Bob Uhing
Attachments
Discussion

Gary Needham shared important updates regarding e-rate. President Obama has actually mentioned updates to e-rate and the e-rate process. An official document was created on July 11th. There will be changes and limits will be placed on what will be covered under “e-rate.” Wireless networking will get an initial push, providing reimbursement and such reimbursement will include wiring, switches, etc. These services will be covered starting in April (ahead of the official date in July).

Gary shared that the question before us is “what does this mean for ESUs moving forward?” Gary suggested that we should do a consolidated or state-wide “hardware bid.” Individual schools can independently decide whom to use for implementation.
The COOP Committee should also be involved, as the bid will probably work best at a state level.

Bob Uhing shared that the ESUCC should be involved using information and guidance from the NOC. Bob also stated that we should be prepared to move quickly.

3.C.II. Statewide Support Model
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
3.D. Zoom Update
David Ludwig/Gordon Roethemeyer
Attachments
Recommended Motion

Motion to approve the purchase of Zooom licenses for state-wide purchase

Discussion

Gordon Rothmeyer shared that we have purchased 50 licenses. The product is being embraced and used. Adding additional licenses has come up, but at this time, it does not seem to be a priority. Additional licenses must be purchased in packages of 10. At this time, the total cost for the ESUs is between $400 and $450 dollars.

Ashland-Greenwood is using Zoom for a distance-learning course. Additionally, Gordon shared that Clearsee is also a nice product.

3.E. ESUCC Application Systems Analyst Update
David Ludwig/Gordon Roethemeyer
Rationale

ESUCC Application Systems Analyst update from SRS Committee. 

Attachments
Discussion

A five-member team has developed a job description, and Scott Isaacson led the team. This is the first step toward bringing this position “in house.”

3.F. ESUCC Ed-Fi Server Hardware
Scott Isaacson
Discussion

NDE might require updates to ED FI, but ESUs should be reimbursed.

3.G. Reports
Chair Bob Uhing
3.G.I. IMAT/Safari
Rhonda Eis/Scott Isaacson
Attachments
Discussion

Safari Montage:
EdCast program bugs discovered over the summer are fixed. All of the Learn360 links that were corrupted have been restored on all ESU servers. New Learn360 content will be added this fall.

NROC links are being added and will be available in September.

Servers were updated to 5.9.33 to address known issues. Safari Montage development team is currently testing 6.0. No release date available at this time.

The IMat affilliate is working on a draft to address EdCast Procedures for sharing content statewide. This document will be shared with the Technology Committee for review and approval once completed.

IMAT Projects:Imat will begin previewing new content from various vendors this fall and will include both videos and other resources for the LOR.

We continue to move forward and more use has been noted. Ron Cone stated there have been minor issues based on unique attributes. In the notes section of the Technology Committee’s agenda is additional information.

3.G.II. Distance Ed
Gordon Roethemeyer
Attachments
3.G.III. BlendEd History
Attachments
3.H. eBooks
Committee Chair - Bob uhing
4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
4.A. LMS State-wide Plan
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
4.B. Technology Suvey
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
4.C. State-wide Support Model
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
4.D. ESUCC Programmer Update
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment