ESU Coordinating Council
October 08, 2014 1:30 PM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll call
Discussion

Call to order at 1:30 pm.
Staff: Dave Ludwig, Scott Isaacson, Rhonda Eis, Deb Hericks

3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. LMS State-wide Plan
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
Rationale

Meeting of the LMS Recommendations Committee will be on October 30 from 9:00-4:00 at the NCSA Building. 

Attachments
Discussion

Scott Isaacson gave an update. There will be a committee meeting in Lincoln next month. There are about 10 committee members. A decision will be made about how many systems the ESUCC will support.

All systems are either moving to the cloud or they are already there. So, in the future, ESUCC will not be “hosting.” Schools will get a catalog of options, and they will have support for those that are listed within the catalog. The standard for any supported system will be “LMS Global” which allows the movement from one system to another.

3.A.I. Discussion with Daniel Hanley/BlackBoard regarding the Innovative Classroom
Executive Director - David M Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
3.A.I.a. BlackBoard Mobile Learn
Executive Director - David M Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Rationale

We have been asked by schools to license BlackBoard Mobile Learn because their students use iPads and need the mobile application.  The cost to license Mobile Learn system wide is $7000.

3.A.II. Schoology Presentation
Executive Director - David M Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
3.A.III. Canvas Presentation
3.B. Powerschool
Discussion

Brian Gegg shared information about PowerSchool. The information will be “cloud based.” ESU 5 currently has numerous schools and they are looking

Pierson charges $4 dollars per student and $8K to migrate. ESU 5 has created a sliding scale regarding cost based on number of students.

The current servers can not address certain requirements such as NeSA. Updates to the system keep coming. For example, Powerschool 9 will require all new servers.

The possibility of running the service through “Coop” on a per seat basis was discussed. Specifically, it was hoped that this would save some money (strengths in numbers).

At this time, Powerschool can support Blackboard and Schoology. Conversations with Canvas will be had in the near future.

3.C. Technology Survey
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
Rationale

LMS Usage Report 2014

Discussion

An LMS Survey has been created and distributed. The results from area schools is beneficial.

3.D. State-wide Support Model
Chair of Committee - Bob Uhing
3.D.I. NOC Meeting
Executive Director - David M Ludwig/Scott Isaacson
Rationale

NOC Minutes

Recommended Motion

Recommend the ESUCC authorize staff time and resources to develop and produce a IdM project with a budget and defined project deliverable and ongoing contributions.

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend the ESUCC authorize staff time and resources to develop and produce an IdM project with a budget and defined project deliverable and ongoing contributions. passed with a motion by Lofquist ESU 09 and a second by DeTurk ESU 02 .

Discussion

All ESUs tackle numerous areas of “support.” The past NOC meeting addressed a more “efficient” way of addressing areas of need. A “team” concept was addressed. The NOC forwarded a motion to start to coordinate a better system. This should move forward in conjunction with the Federated Identity Management system.

Bob Uhing shared that resources have been an issue that have precluded forward motion regarding this issue.

A motion was created to move this issue from the committee to the full ESUCC. It reads:

“Recommend the ESUCC authorize staff time and resources to develop and produce a IdM project with a budget and defined project deliverable and ongoing contributions.”

3.E. BlendEd Learning
Attachments
3.E.I. Single Sign-on
Discussion

Scott shared a collective vision for the system. ID Management is the umbrella. Issues such as “new employees” and automatic account creation was discussed. During PDO meetings, a “search” for other professionals was addressed. This would allow the sharing of information and tools.

Scott also shared information about the ability to integrate with the Data Dashboard system. The current Data Dashboard pilot schools will have access in the next few weeks. This is the beginning of getting other “groups” on the system.

Authenticating users will be on a district by district basis. So, if a school is using Google, the system will be set up to “authenticate” through the Google system.

3.E.II. Technology (LMS, Safari, Data Dashboard, Digital Textbooks)
Discussion

Currently, there are nine (9) school districts participating. They will be able to see “live data” in the near future. Other districts have expressed interest. Dean Folkers is addressing a system to add other “early adopters.” Further implementation will be addressed in the future.There have been discussions about how this works with NSSRS, possibly alleviating some of the required reporting.

Safari: EdCast is working. Large EdCasts can only be done around a thousand at a time.

There will be a meeting on October 13th with Safari Montage to talk about contracts. With the state contract, there are certain features available. Some ESUs have purchased additional options.

Scott shared that we should invite the Illini Group so they can give us an update regarding their project.

3.E.III. Staff Development
3.E.IV. Statewide Support
3.E.IV.a. LB 1103 Hearing Schedule
Rationale

 

LB1103
October 6  (Data with Dean Folkers) - OMAHA - Gallup - 1001 Gallup Drive

October 15  (AQUESTT with Matt Blomstedt, Valerie Foy, Sue Anderson, Freida Lange) - NORFOLK - Lifelong Learning Center, Suite E -801 East Benjamin Avenue

October 16  (Community Partnerships with EC-Career Ready with Brian Halstead and Rich Katt) - BROKEN BOW - High School - 323 North 7th Avenue

3.E.IV.b. 497 Hearing on November 19
Rationale

November 19  (Lottery Fund Hearing - LB 497) - Lincoln - State Capitol, Room 1525 - 1445 K Street

3.E.IV.c. ESUCC/NDE Support
3.F. Reports
Chair of Committee
3.F.I. Rhonda Eis
Rhonda Eis
Rationale

SAFARI MONTAGE:
1. Techincal issues with ESU 13 have been resolved.

2. NROC  links were successfully EdCast to all ESU server. EdCast process is being monitored by Safari Montage team.

3. Chris Watson is working with his team to create short training videos for ESUs staff to learn about Admin features. These videos will be combined with several webinars. The goal is to have these available yet this fall.

IMAT:
1. Preview links/videos are being added to the Safari Montage server for statewide preview of video content. These titles will be evaluated for consideration as new Nebraska licensed titles through January. Review of evaulations will occur in February with recommendations being made in March.  IMAT will also evaluate  other resources and content providers during the next months and into early spring.

2.  Coyright Training  - November 13 at ESU 3. All ESU staff are invited. ESUs may also invite district representatives.

Attachments
Discussion

There is interest in learning more about other Safari Montage features and to obtain statewide pricing for those features that ESUs are interested in adding.

3.F.II. Scott Isaacson
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
3.F.III. Gordon Roethemeyer
Gordon Roethemeyer
Rationale

The advisory committee met last on Sept. 26. The group talked about LB 1103 and LB 497 and members reported whether they plan to attend one of the hearnings and how to best rally support and action from schools.

The formation of an LMS Planning Committee that will make recommendations to the ESUCC was discuss. The advisory committee will have two people on this committee which meets for the first time on Oct. 30th at the NCSA offices in Lincoln. Results of the LMS Usage Survey were shared. There were 134 districts responding showing that at least a half dozen LMS systems are currently in use and that most districts are interested in looking at other solutions and want help with support and training.

A report was given on plans for NDLA week, events are scheduled every day starting Nov. 10 through Nov. 13. The NDLA reps. also said that Rich Culatta, Mark Milliron, Angelique Kobler and Dave Rosenbaum will be featured speakers at the NDLA Conference on March 5th and 6th.

Attachments
4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment