ESU Coordinating Council
January 07, 2015 2:00 PM
SPED Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll Call
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Discussion

Staff: David Ludwig, Deb Hericks

3. Agenda Item
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
3.A. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
Discussion

Wade Fruhling updated committee on his report.

3.A.I. SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Rationale

  • We have been working with NDE and HHSS to update our forms to meet the requirements for the new Rule 52.Based on their feedback, we have undertaken the following tasks.
    • We have created a new forms called “Notice and Consent for Early Intervention Initial Multidisciplinary Evaluation and Child Assessment” which replace our previous Notice of Initial Evaluation form.
    • We are building a new “Notice of IFSP Meeting” form.
      • This form will be completed this week.
    • We need to have a couple small changes to the IFSP form
  • Provided trainings for South Sioux City and ESU#1.
  • Our Advisory Board meeting was held on December 18th.
    • Updated board on Part C form updates.
    • Updated board on the recommendations from the Accommodations Checklist sub-committee
    • New Priority list was established, it includes the following tasks:
      • Focus on Zend Conversions
      • Indicate Primary Disability on Edit Student Screen
      • Search by Disability
      • Add optional section to address transition activities on the Notice of Meeting Form.
  • We interviewed one candidate for the new Systems Analyst position.
    • The candidate seemed very capable but he was essentially our only option.
    • We decided to expand our search by placing ads in additional job websites.
      • 3 more candidates have replied
        • Only 1 of the 3 had PHP experience (which is essential).

Discussion

SRS has been working with NDE and HHSS to update our forms to meet the requirements for the new Rule 52.Based on their feedback, we have undertaken the following tasks.

They have created a new forms called “Notice and Consent for Early Intervention Initial Multidisciplinary Evaluation and Child Assessment” which replace our previous Notice of Initial Evaluation form. They are building a new “Notice of IFSP Meeting” form.

There has been a couple small changes to the IFSP form

Provided trainings for South Sioux City and ESU#1.

Our Advisory Board meeting was held on December 18th. New Priority list was established, it includes the following tasks: Focus on Zend Conversions, Indicate Primary Disability on Edit Student Screen, Search by Disability, Add optional section to address transition activities on the Notice of Meeting Form.

3.A.II. Project Para
Wade Fruhling
Rationale

Editing tests and activities to upgrade the coding for security.

Discussion

Editing tests and activities to upgrade the coding for security.

3.A.III. ILCD
Wade Fruhling
Rationale

We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site

  • Our office emails data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request.

Discussion

They continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site. SRS office emails data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request.

3.A.IV. AAP
Wade Fruhling
Rationale

Our grant request of $24,938 has been approved by the Dept. of Education.

  • New funds will go toward report building features and further system improvements.

We have made improvements to the printout of the AAP form, and continue to identify and fix bugs

Attachments
Discussion

AAP Grant for this year has been approved. New funds will go toward report building features and further system improvements. We have made improvements to the printout of the AAP form, and continue to identify and fix bugs

3.B. Master Service Agreement
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Discussion

Master Service Agreement - Advisory Board talked about a 5% increase for future years. Executive Director and Wade Fruhling to meet and discuss tier structure and SRS fees.

3.C. Systems Analyst Update
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Discussion

We interviewed one candidate for the new Systems Analyst position. The candidate seemed very capable but he was essentially our only option. We decided to expand our search by placing ads in additional job websites. Three more candidates have replied. Only 1 of the 3 had PHP experience (which is essential). Advertise in Omaha World Heralds and Lincoln Star Journal for two Sundays with close the following Friday. Recommendation to hire or move forth with Soliant by March 4th meeting.


3.D. Medicaid
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Discussion

Executive Director will continue to work with NDE on Medicaid: services and support. Milliken will be invited to meet with SPED Committee in February.

3.E. IDEA Paperwork
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Hill, John E <jehill@purdue.edu>
Date: Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Subject: NREA Information

The GAO is looking for those interested in participating in discussions regarding IDEA paperwork. The GAO develops reports for members of Congress which are used to develop legislation and/or inform Congress about implemented programs. This is a excellent opportunity for members to have a voice in the process.Please share the announcement below.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) is an independent, nonpartisan agency that works for Congress. GAO is conducting small discussion groups about paperwork and administrative tasks associated with special education laws and regulations. These discussion groups will give participants the opportunity to share their views on federal, state, local requirements and the amount of work that goes into compliance and steps that might help professionals in managing this work. These 90 minute discussions will inform an upcoming GAO report about paperwork and administrative requirements in special education requested by the Chairman and a majority member of the US House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce. These discussion will be scheduled based on participants' availability in January and early February. If you are interested, please contact Justin Riordan (riordanj@gao.gov<mailto:riordanj@gao.gov> or  202-512-7046).

Dr. John Hill
National Rural Education Association
Woodrow Wilson Purdue STEM Goes Rural Program
Beering 5138
100 University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907\
(Office) 765-494-0086
(Cell) 574-780-6910
[Purdue 25]

Discussion

Larianne Polk will discuss with her SPED Director to see if interested.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Discussion

Invite Milliken to discuss Medicaid
Invite someone from NDE from Title III and Migrant Department to speak with group. How are the boundaries determined and the options for ESUs.

5. Executive Session
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 3:05 PM. passed with a motion by Polk ESU 07 and a second by Radford ESU 17.