ESU Coordinating Council
December 19, 2014 10:00 AM
Technology Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site, and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 10:00 AM.

Staff: David M Ludwig, Scott Isaacson, Deb Hericks.

Visitors: Beth Kabes, Craig Hicks, Mike Danehy, Ron Cone, Jamen Hall.

2. Roll call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. LMS Selection timeline
Committee Chair - Bob Uhing
Discussion

The Committee would like to move up the timeline (late February/March). There are four LMS still represented in spreadsheet. (Canvas, Schoology, BlackBoard Learn, Moodle) Support/Migration to be shared with districts.

Have finalist selected by February Technology Committee and put the rest of details in place in March. Advisory Committee to meet and work on details in March.

3.B. NE eLearning
Committee Chair - Bob Uhing
Discussion

NE eLearning wants to expand on current learning object repository and also create a vision for future use. Work with stake holders to continue building on resources.

Systems building with these funds (LOR, LMS, etc.) Needs to be lots more communication (need to continue to have open communications and using the same language.)

NITC has handouts that summarize the three initiatives. (attach to next committee meetings)

3.C. Safari Montage Support
Scott Isaacson
Attachments
Discussion

Draft agreement with Safari is attached to agenda. Short term agreement will drop us back to the original proposal amounts. ($50/building plus a per/server fee.) Need to create a longer term agreement to be included in MSA (Two-year agreement)

Version 6 does not include Google Authentication. This will be an additional cost. Schools/ESU were looking forward to update. Version 6 has a special integration NetTreker resources. Edcast is being replaced with LOR Exchange which will be included in the next agreement. NDE will be supporting us on the LOR. Safari Montage is the interface to the LOR Exchange, same type search features. We need one index that can link to everything.

Do a survey of ESU on use, hurdles, etc. What are the road blocks on ESUs in using Safari Montage? Affiliates message was waiting on single sign on. Work needs to begin between Safari and our identity system we will have statewide. Need to expand on the importance of use within the Teaching and Learning aspects of Safari Montage. If someone wants to use ESU 10 LDAP directory, they will help load those accounts. Pull reports out of Safari on usage of system (qualitative and quantitative data needed.)

3.D. Technology Survey (BrightBytes)
David Ludwig
Attachments
Discussion

Working with NDE to work on how we can fund/support this state-wide. 46% of state currently uses. 1) What access student have (70-80%), 2) the amount utilized in districts, 3) 9/10 teachers see need for technology, need for staff development.

Executive Director has been working with Kristen Swanson on securing a state-wide buy for BrightBytes. ($.75/student) Working with ESUs on doing a case study. What if ESUs have multi-year contract?

3.E. PowerSchool Statewide Model
Brian Gegg
Discussion

There are three large (ESU 2, 5, 10) PowerSchool Consortium in place. Those administrators will get together and discuss a statewide model (including David Ludwig)? They will report out at the next Tech Committee meeting. Preferred Partnership with Pearson. Pearson would like us to send people to training to take over the Level 1 and 2 support.

3.F. Statewide Tech Plan
Rationale

Statewide Tech Plan

Discussion

Four main areas: Infrastructure (private cloud), Data, Presentation/Application, Identity. Create a task lists including timelines for project. Next meeting will include Brent Gaswick.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Discussion

Adjourn at 11:17 AM.