ESU Coordinating Council
March 04, 2015 2:00 PM
SPED Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll Call
Discussion

Call to order at 2:04.

Staff: David Ludwig, Deb Hericks

3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.A.I. AAP
Wade Fruhling
Rationale

  • Michele Borg, the NDE consultant that I am partnering with on this site, will no longer be reporting to the Special Populations department.
    • Her contact will now be supervised by the Commissioner’s Office.
      • Dean Folkers will be her supervisor
  • We have been meeting to develop our strategy for improving the AAP site for this new grant year.These plans include
    • Working with Dean Folkers to connect AAP to the NDE data warehouse.
    • Develop reporting system so that our users can utilize the data stored on the site.
    • Updating user privilege levels to ensure that users have the appropriate amount of access to student records on the system.

Discussion

Michele Borg, the NDE consultant that I am partnering with on this site, will no longer be reporting to the Special Populations department. Her contact will now be supervised by the Commissioner’s Office. Dean Folkers will be her supervisor

We have been meeting to develop our strategy for improving the AAP site for this new grant year.These plans include: Working with Dean Folkers to connect AAP to the NDE data warehouse. Develop reporting system so that our users can utilize the data stored on the site. Updating user privilege levels to ensure that users have the appropriate amount of access to student records on the system.

3.A.II. Project Para
Wade Fruhling
Rationale

  • Marjorie is in the process of updating the code for all of the pages with forms
    • This is an on going process and will continue for several more months.
    • Updated code will improve stability and security of site.
    • Small design changes are being made as well.

Discussion

Marjorie is in the process of updating the code for all of the pages with forms. This is an on going process and will continue for several more months. Updated code will improve stability and security of site. Small design changes are being made as well.

3.A.III. SRS Report
Rationale

 

  • New Features went live on the site
    • Notice and Consent for Early Intervention Initial Multidisciplinary Evaluation and Child Assessment
    • Notice of Meeting (IFSP)
    • Filter to sort student lists by Case Manager, Team Member, and with or without NSSRS ID#
    • Added validations to MIPS consent form.
  • Work has begun on our new NSSRS Reporting system.
    • New system will streamline the process and should reduce the amount of man hours it takes to submit this report.
    • We have developed a series of test cases to help us identify any errors or inaccuracies in the NSSRS reporting system.
  • We have developed a help desk monitoring system to help us monitor response times and frequently reported issues.
  • We have addressed several bugs including problems with validations on the IEP, Batch Printing, and the NSSRS report.
  • We interviewed three additional candidates for the Systems Analyst position.
    • Mike Danahy from ESU#2 was selected by the committee and will begin work on July 1, 2015

Discussion

New Features went live on the site. Notice and Consent for Early Intervention Initial Multidisciplinary Evaluation and Child Assessment. Notice of Meeting (IFSP) Filter to sort student lists by Case Manager, Team Member, and with or without NSSRS ID#. Added validations to MIPS consent form. Work has begun on our new NSSRS Reporting system. New system will streamline the process and should reduce the amount of man hours it takes to submit this report. We have developed a series of test cases to help us identify any errors or inaccuracies in the NSSRS reporting system. We have developed a help desk monitoring system to help us monitor response times and frequently reported issues. We have addressed several bugs including problems with validations on the IEP, Batch Printing, and the NSSRS report. We interviewed three additional candidates for the Systems Analyst position.

3.A.IV. ILCD
Rationale

  • We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site
    • Our office emails data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

Discussion

We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site. Our office emails data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

3.B. Application Systems Analyst
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

Recommend the ESUCC to hire Mike Danahy for the Application System Analyst position. 

Recommended Motion

Recommend the ESUCC approve the contract with Mike Danahy as the Application System Analyst and to authorize Executive Director, David Ludwig to sign the contract

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend the ESUCC approve the contract with Mike Danahy as the Application System Analyst starting July 1, 2015 - August 30, 2016 and to authorize Executive Director, David Ludwig to sign the contract passed with a motion by Uhing ESU 01 and a second by Radford ESU 17.

Discussion

Executive Director discussed the interview process for the last three candidates. Recommend to hire Mike Danahy for position of Systems Analyst. Systems Analyst is working on PHP refresher course and will continue to work on code to get familiarized with SRS coding. Will have Systems Analyst go to Chicago to work for about a week. Attorney's will work with Soliant on transition of program.

3.C. Medicaid (Steve Milliken)
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

Earlier this year Dennis Pool and I discussed Medicaid in regard to a statewide service and statewide funding.  Based upon this conversation, this has been listed as one of ten ESUCC Budget Goals.

Prior to the Christmas break, Steve Milliken and I began discussing Medicaid in regard to statewide services and increased funding for school districts, ESU's and ESUCC.  What this would or will be is unknown at this time as dialogue with the DHHS is essential.  A meeting was scheduled January 14, 2015 with Brian Halstead, Steve Milliken and I to discuss this possibility.  Steve and I will attend a meeting with the DHHS January 26, 2015 with the intention of being at the table for a possible partnership.

As per Brian Halstead, statute provides for a partnership between the DHHS and NDE.  With that said, our involvement could be structured as a contracted service provider through NDE; whereby, revision in state statute may not be required.  Again, this is all preliminary but worth pursing. 

NASB is involved in the MAPS portion of Medicaid; whereby, the partnership in question is specific to the MIPS portion of Medicaid.  Steve Milliken did indicate that our funding through this project as it stands now is around $3,000,000 per year which was similar to the state of Virginia.  After implementation of their statewide effort through coordination and increased staff, the total revenue for the state of Virginia increased from $3,000,000 to roughly $17,000,000 per year.  Again, Steve and I will need to have continued conversations with needed stakeholders to determine the possible direction for this project.

Discussion

Executive Director reports that he is continuing discussions with Steve Milliken and DHHS regarding Medicaid.

3.D. Rule 11/Early Learning Connections
Committee Chair - Beatty
Discussion

Rule 11 addresses Early Childhood.

3.E. Title III and Migrant (NDE)
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

How are the boundaries are determined and the options for ESUs. 

Discussion

Discussion was held around boundaries for ESUs regarding Title III and Migrant. How are lines drawn for consortium.

3.F. Master Service Agreement
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

MSA 2015-2016

Recommended Motion

Recommend to approve changes to Master Service Agreement

Discussion

Executive Director discussed Master Service Agreement (MSA) and budget goals of the SRS Project. SRS Advisory Committee will review tier structure process.

3.F.I. SRS Budget Goals
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

ESUCC will approve a balanced budget beginning the 2015-16 year.  ($42,012 deficit)

Continue the process of employing a System's Analysts within ESUCC. 

Review and/or revise the costs for SRS as reflected in the Master Services Agreement.

3.F.II. Special Education Project Fees ($5000)
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
3.F.III. SRS Tier Structure
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale


Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend ESUCC increase tiered structure by 10% for 2015-2016 passed with a motion by Beatty ESU 16 and a second by Gegg ESU 05.

3.F.IV. ESPD Affiliate Budget Requests
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

IEP Training Requests

Requesting IEP Facilitation Training:  New participants - $12,500, Refresher Course $1500 - providing grant from NDE is granted.   This training to be held in June 2015.

They would also like to keep their "one hour" meeting with KSB School Law for each of their three meetings a year. 

Recommended Motion

Recommend approval of ESPD Budget requests

3.G. Change SPED Committee name to Special Populations Committee
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Recommended Motion

Recommend change SPED Committee name to Special Populations Committee

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend change SPED Committee name to Special Populations Committee passed with a motion by Gegg ESU 05 and a second by Radford ESU 17.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Discussion

Tier Structure
Special Ed Staff Development

5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 3:00 PM passed with a motion by Gegg ESU 05 and a second by Uhing ESU 01.