ESU Coordinating Council
April 08, 2015 8:00 AM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

Discussion

Call to order at 8:00 AM

2. Roll Call
3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.A.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Met with Dean Folkers regarding how the AAP and SRS websites will fit into the larger NDE Data Dashboard project.
    • Connecting to this system is now one of our highest priorities.
    • Dean advised us to wait until the Nebraska Education Data Standard (NEDS) is completed before we begin work on this project.

Discussion

Met with Dean Folkers regarding how the AAP and SRS websites will fit into the larger NDE Data Dashboard project. Connecting to this system is now one of our highest priorities. Dean Folkers advised us to wait until the Nebraska Education Data Standard (NEDS) is completed before we begin work on this project.

3.A.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Marjorie is in the process of updating the code for all of the pages with forms
    • This is an on going process and will continue for several more months.
    • Updated code will improve stability and security of site.
    • Small design changes are being made as well.

Discussion

Marjorie Bisbee is in the process of updating the code for all of the pages with forms. This is an on going process and will continue for several more months. Updated code will improve stability and security of site. Small design changes are being made as well.

3.A.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • SRS Advisory Board was held on March 19th
    • A 10% one-time fee increase was approved.
    • New priority list
      • Update NSSRS Reporting System
      • Add ability to search by Student Disability
      • Add multiple text boxes for parent/guardian phone numbers
      • Add additional text boxes to address how services will be provided with Regular Education Peers, Special Education with Regular Education Peers, and Special Education without Regular Education Peers
      • Convert Parent/Guardian Screen to Zend Framework
      • Convert Student Teams Screen to Zend Framework
    • Soliant was informed about new Systems Analyst on March 26.
      • Soliant took the news very well, and agreed to help in the transition process as follows:
        • Provide an extended training for Mike in Chicago once he officially starts.
        • Add comments/documentation to the SRS code to describe what the code is doing
        • Provide data dictionary so that Mike will know where data is located on the database
        • Mike will meet with Jesse From Soliant on April 9th for an initial Q+A
  • We have developed a new testing system for the NSSRS Reports
    • This will help us identify NSSRS data problems early and hopefully fix them before them become a problem
  • Systems Analyst Transition
    • Met with Mike Danahy, Scott Issacson, and Dave Ludwig to discuss Mike’s Transition to SRS
      • Provided a short demonstration of the SRS site
      • Talked about the technology used in SRS and how the overall system is set up
      • Provided Mike with access to SRS code
      • Discussed having Wade Fruhling learn programming skills to help support Mike and improve his overall understanding of the system

Discussion

SRS Advisory Board was held on March 19th. A 10% one-time fee increase was approved.

New priority list: Update NSSRS Reporting System, add ability to search by Student Disability, add multiple text boxes for parent/guardian phone numbers, add additional text boxes to address how services will be provided with Regular Education Peers, Special Education with Regular Education Peers, and Special Education without Regular Education Peers, convert Parent/Guardian Screen to Zend Framework, convert Student Teams Screen to Zend Framework

Soliant was informed about new Systems Analyst on March 26. Soliant took the news very well, and agreed to help in the transition process as follows: provide an extended training for Mike in Chicago once he officially starts, add comments/documentation to the SRS code to describe what the code is doing, provide data dictionary so that Mike will know where data is located on the database

Mike will meet with Jesse From Soliant on April 9th for an initial Q+A

We have developed a new testing system for the NSSRS Reports. This will help us identify NSSRS data problems early and hopefully fix them before them become a problem

Systems Analyst Transition:
Met with Mike Danahy, Scott Issacson, and Dave Ludwig to discuss Mike’s Transition to SRS. Provided a short demonstration of the SRS site. Talked about the technology used in SRS and how the overall system is set up. Provided Mike with access to SRS code. Discussed having Wade Fruhling learn programming skills to help support Mike and improve his overall understanding of the system


3.A.IV. ILCD
Rationale

  • We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site
    • Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

3.B. SRS Mission/Vision
Committee Chair - Beatty
Rationale

SRS Mission/Vision

Discussion

Wade Fruhling reviewed the SRS mission and vision with his advisory board and the Special Populations committee. ESPD Affiliate review the mission and vision as well.

3.C. Application Systems Analyst: Transition Time Line
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

1) Mike Danahy begin July 1, 2015
2) Training/consultation with Soliant in Oregon two days
(Mike is flying on his own for personal reasons and coordinated efforts for this visit are in progress.)
3) Meetings have been/will continue with D Ludwig, S Isaacson, W Fruhling, and M Danahy regarding code.
4) Meetings with the SRS Advisory Committee with M Danahy will be scheduled.
5) SRS Code will be provided to Mike this spring.
6) Coordinated efforts with Steve Williams are in place for transition of code and services.
7) Discussion with the IliniCloud regarding potential partnerships will be scheduled.

Discussion

Mike Danahy begin July 1, 2015. Training/consultation with Soliant in Oregon two days (Mike is flying on his own for personal reasons and coordinated efforts for this visit are in progress.) Meetings have been/will continue with David Ludwig, Scott Isaacson, Wade Fruhling, and Mike Danahy regarding code. Meetings with the SRS Advisory Committee with Mike Danahy will be scheduled. SRS Code will be provided to Mike this spring. Coordinated efforts with Attorney, Steve Williams are in place for transition of code and services. Discussion with the IliniCloud regarding potential partnerships will be scheduled.

3.D. Medicaid
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

Earlier this year Dennis Pool and I discussed Medicaid in regard to a statewide service and statewide funding.  Based upon this conversation, this has been listed as one of ten ESUCC Budget Goals.

Prior to the Christmas break, Steve Milliken and I began discussing Medicaid in regard to statewide services and increased funding for school districts, ESU's and ESUCC.  What this would or will be is unknown at this time as dialogue with the DHHS is essential.  A meeting was scheduled January 14, 2015 with Brian Halstead, Steve Milliken and I to discuss this possibility.  Steve and I will attend a meeting with the DHHS January 26, 2015 with the intention of being at the table for a possible partnership.

As per Brian Halstead, statute provides for a partnership between the DHHS and NDE.  With that said, our involvement could be structured as a contracted service provider through NDE; whereby, revision in state statute may not be required.  Again, this is all preliminary but worth pursing. 

NASB is involved in the MAPS portion of Medicaid; whereby, the partnership in question is specific to the MIPS portion of Medicaid.  Steve Milliken did indicate that our funding through this project as it stands now is around $3,000,000 per year which was similar to the state of Virginia.  After implementation of their statewide effort through coordination and increased staff, the total revenue for the state of Virginia increased from $3,000,000 to roughly $17,000,000 per year.  Again, Steve and I will need to have continued conversations with needed stakeholders to determine the possible direction for this project.

Discussion

Executive Director continues to have discussion regarding Medicaid.

3.E. SEARIS (Special Education Assessments & Reports) Software
Committee Chair - Beatty/Ludwig
Rationale

EdLOGIX/SEARIS
Daniel Brown, CEO
Cell:  916-622-6102
Office - 916-782-2970
1224 Meridian Way
Rocklin, CA 95765
danbrown@ed-logix.com
www.ed-logix.com

Attachments
Discussion

Committee Chair and Executive Director had the opportunity to see a demo from EdLogix regarding Special Education Assessment and Report Information System (SEARIS). What other features could be of value to our SRS system.

3.F. IEP Facilitation Training
Committee Chair - Marge Beatty
Rationale

Hello Darus,
Thank you for confirming the dates for the IEP Facilitated Training on June 2, 3, and 4.  Will the training be held at ESU 3? 
Marge Beatty has confirmed that ESU 16 would be the grant recipient for the IEP Facilitated Training.
The parameters are as follows for the IEP Facilitated Training on June 2, 3 and 4:    
1.       Priority will be given to special education directors who are new to their role during the 2014-15 school year;
2.       Others who attend the IEP Facilitated Training will be first-time attendees;
3.       Training is open to ESU and district special education directors and district representatives at IEPs;
4.       Advertising for the training will be done by NASES or their designee;
5.       Up to 5 spots are reserved for NDE Special Education staff;
6.       NDE will cover the $12,500 cost of the training on June 2, 3 and 4 for up to 25 attendees.  However, NDE will reimburse $500 per participant for only the number of attendees who are duly registered prior to the training.  In other words, if 20 people attend, NDE would reimburse for 20 participants at $500 per person - $10,000.
7.       Reimbursement is based upon the Grant Final Report, including a list of participants and their signatures.
 
Re the “Refresher Training,” to be held on June 5:
1.       A minimum of 10 participants must be registered for the Refresher Training prior to the training for any reimbursement to occur.  (if 10 participants are registered, NDE will reimburse @ $100 per participant - $1,000)  
2.       NDE will reimburse for up to 15 participants @ $100 per participant - $1,500.
3.       Participants in the Refresher Training are responsible for purchasing their own books and/or materials.
4.       Advertising for the Refresher Training will be done by NASES or their designee.
5.       Reimbursement is based upon the Grant  Final Report, including a list of participants and their signatures.
 
Darus, please verify the location of both trainings and furnish NDE a copy of the advertisement for these trainings.  Please feel free to contact me if you have questions.  Thanks!  Rose
 
Rose Dymacek, Education Specialist
Special Education
Phone: 402-471-6695
 

Attachments
Discussion

NDE has approved a partnership with an extension to PEP Grant with ESU 16 through ESUCC to offer another IEP Facilitation Training. June 2-4, 2015 will be the next IEP Facilitation training. June 5, 2015 will be an advanced/refresher training for those who have already been trained in IEP Facilitation.

Recommend that PEP (Parents Encouraging Parents) be run through ESUCC vs ESU 16.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Discussion

Future...create a resolution to Soliant to thank them for their service over the past years.

Vote on Mission/Vision

Review SEARIS

IEP Faciliatation

PEP Grant -

Chair Marge Beatty would like Larianne Polk to become the Committee Chair.

5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 9:05 passed with a motion by Polk ESU 07 and a second by Gegg ESU 05.