ESU Coordinating Council
September 09, 2015 2:00 PM
Special Population Committee Meeting
1. Call to Order
Rationale

Notice to visitors:  To be heard at this meeting, the "Request to be Heard" form, must be completed and submitted to the Secretary to the Executive Director of ESUCC.  The President of the Board of ESUCC will call upon visitors wishing to address the Board in the order they were submitted or by subject.

Pursuant to Section 84-1411 of the Nebraska Statutes, notice of this meeting was given by advertisement on the ESUCC website, NE Public Meeting site and host site.

Open Meetings Law
: Pursuant to Section 84 - 1412 of the Nebraska Statutes, the public is hereby informed that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act is posted in this meeting room. 

2. Roll Call
Discussion

Call to order at 2:00 PM. Staff: David Ludwig, Wade Fruhling, Beth Kabes, Deb Hericks

3. Agenda Item
Chair of Committee
3.A. Approve SRS Mission/Vision
Rationale

Vision Statement

Our vision is to streamline the process of Special Education documentation so that educators can devote more of their time to students.

Commitment/Beliefs

·      We are committed to applying modern web technologies toward the creation of powerful, user-friendly forms and online tools.

·      We believe our resources should be allocated based on the needs of our users.

·      We believe in providing prompt, high-quality user support.

·      We believe that developing and maintaining strong relationships with the Nebraska Department of Education, Nebraska School Districts, Educational Service Units and our users are the keys to our success.

Action Plans

·      SRS personnel will dedicate time each week toward improving our skills in the areas of technology, project management, customer support, and website usability and design.

·      SRS personnel will seek to create and/or maintain lines of communication with our users by offering trainings, attending Special Education conferences and events, providing online support tools, and through our help desk.

·      SRS will continue to strengthen and support the SRS Advisory Board.

·      SRS personnel will improve their level of user support through the use of technology (help desk software), updating our Frequently Asked Questions page, adding support links to all new forms, and evaluating help desk responses for speed and quality.

·      SRS will develop strong relationships with our stakeholders by offering friendly and professional support, following through on promises and exceeding expectations whenever possible.


Recommended Motion

Recommend approval of SRS Mission/Vision

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Recommend approval of SRS Mission/Vision passed with a motion by Uhing ESU 01 and a second by Beatty ESU 16.

Discussion

Chair reviewed the SRS Mission/Vision/Beliefs. Advisory Committee to create a timeline for completion. SRS Director to report at each ESUCC meeting on progress.

3.B. SRS Update
3.B.I. Illini Cloud
Discussion

The Illini Cloud has an interest in seeing the code/information on SRS to see if could provide direction for that project. Is it a possibility to copyright our product to protect us from others.

3.B.II. Soliant Resolution
Discussion

ESUCC to provide a resolution to Soliant when time appropriate in appreciation of their support. Soliant will continue to support project throughout the next year. Purchased a code repository (GitHub).

3.C. IDEA Grant
Rationale

Memo 

T o: ESU Administrators/ILCD Facilitators 

From: Gary M. Sherman, Office of Special Education 

CC: Dave Ludwig, ESUCC; NDE SPED Staff 

Date: 5/27/2015 

Re: Facilitator Grant Expenditure 

This memo is being sent in an attempt to clarify the use of IDEA Facilitator Grant dollars to support SRS and/or other Special Education data systems. For the current year (2014-15) and next year (2015-16), up to $5,000 of IDEA grant funds may continue to be a funding source to support SRS/other SPED data systems. However, this is not a required use of IDEA grant funds and IDEA grant funds will NOT be available for this purpose in 2016-17. 

NDE Office of Special Education 
301 Centennial Mall, PO Box 94987, Lincoln NE 68509 
http://www.education.ne.gov/Brand/Images/HiRes/OfficialNDELogo.jpg

Discussion

Chair discussed the IDEA grant and changes for 2016-2017. Discussed the ILCD changes that are forthcoming (competitive grant process). Can the ESUCC write a statewide innovative grant? Create options of what those grants could look like (align with state plan). Invite Steve Milliken to next Special Population meeting?

3.D. PEP Grant
Marge Beatty
Rationale

Discussion will include restructuring the PEP grant under ESUCC. 

The last two years of history with the PEP/IEP Training Grant:

 
2014:
PEP   $22,682.57
IEP    $12,500
Total: $35,182.57
 
2015
PEP   $19,532.83
IEP    $11,500
Total: $ 31,032.83

Discussion

Parents Encouraging Parents (PEP) We will continue to discuss the possibility of moving the PEP Grant under the ESUCC. The IEP Facilitation training was part of this grant.

3.E. Final Financials
Committee Chair - Polk
Discussion

Discussion was held regarding the final financials and MIPS (tracking). Discussion was tabled for this year. New expenditure account code (4450) to track both revenue and expenditure.

3.F. MIPS
Committee Chair - Polk
3.G. Wade Fruhling - SRS Report
Wade Fruhling
Attachments
3.G.I. AAP
Rationale

  • Provided site demonstration at Statewide Meeting of Interim Program Schools and Special Purpose Schools on June 19th
  • Met with Dean Folkers regarding integration with EdFi ADVISER project.
    • Discussed how integration will work within this system
    • AAP site will be included in the i3 (Investing In Innovation) Grant that ESUCC is applying for.
      • The remainder of our development budget for this year will be spent on hiring a consultant to help ensure that we are awarded this grant.
      • The i3 grant will improve the long-term sustainability of the AAP project.

Discussion

Provided site demonstration at Statewide Meeting of Interim Program Schools and Special Purpose Schools on June 19th

Met with Dean Folkers regarding integration with EdFi ADVISER project.
Discussed how integration will work within this system
AAP site will be included in the i3 (Investing In Innovation) Grant that ESUCC is applying for.

The remainder of our development budget for this year will be spent on hiring a consultant to help ensure that we are awarded this grant.

The i3 grant will improve the long-term sustainability of the AAP project.

3.G.II. Project Para
Rationale

  • Project Para moved to a new server in August.
  • The pretests and posttests for all of the units have been redesigned to more efficiently interact with the database and also provide more security.
  • All of the pages in the site have been updated to a new template that has a new look and takes advantage of newer HTML and CSS coding.
  • The Progress Report for participants has been redesigned to make it easier for participants to see their current status.
  • The commenting tool for users and instructors regarding specific activities and tests has been updated and is now easier to use.
  • The Instructor Resources have been updated, providing an improved interface for managing groups and participants. This section uses fewer pages and is more efficient than the earlier version.
  • Para Educator Conference will be held on October 29th in Kearney.

 

Discussion

Project Para moved to a new server in August. The pretests and posttests for all of the units have been redesigned to more efficiently interact with the database and also provide more security. All of the pages in the site have been updated to a new template that has a new look and takes advantage of newer HTML and CSS coding. The Progress Report for participants has been redesigned to make it easier for participants to see their current status. The commenting tool for users and instructors regarding specific activities and tests has been updated and is now easier to use. The Instructor Resources have been updated, providing an improved interface for managing groups and participants. This section uses fewer pages and is more efficient than the earlier version. Para Educator Conference will be held on October 29th in Kearney.

3.G.III. SRS Report
Rationale

  • We added the last remaining Part C forms
    • Notice of Meeting (Part C)
    • Notice of Annual Transition
    • Notice of Initial Evaluation and Assessment
    • Significant changes to the IFSP
  • Other improvements include
    • Reminder to address Physical Education on IEP
    • Expanded Special Education Statement on IEP
    • For the Notice of IEP/MDT meeting, we added a new system to identify which of the two meetings participants will be attending.
    • Made further refinements to new NSSRS report
  • Part C forms have all been reviewed and approved by NDE
  • Bennington and Northwest Schools have requested a data upload system
    • This will be good practice for developing a system that all schools can use
  • Provided 17 SRS trainings to ESUs, School Districts, and Colleges in August.

 

Discussion

We added the last remaining Part C forms: Notice of Meeting (Part C), Notice of Annual Transition, Notice of Initial Evaluation and Assessment, Significant changes to the IFSP. Other improvements include: Reminder to address Physical Education on IEP, Expanded Special Education Statement on IEP, For the Notice of IEP/MDT meeting, we added a new system to identify which of the two meetings participants will be attending,Made further refinements to new NSSRS report. Part C forms have all been reviewed and approved by NDE Bennington and Northwest Schools have requested a data upload system. This will be good practice for developing a system that all schools can use. Provided 17 SRS trainings to ESUs, School Districts, and Colleges in August.

3.G.IV. ILCD
Rationale

  • We continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site
    • Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

Discussion

SRS Office continue to maintain the ILCD Staff Survey site. Our office emails the data (along with a summary) to school districts upon request

3.H. Mike Danahy Report
Committee Chair - Polk
Attachments
Discussion

ESUCC Systems Analyst and SRS System Specialist 9-3-2015 SRS Web Development Time was spent taking inventory of all the program code Identifying/Learning operational process. Identifying the inter-machine communication between iep,iepweb02 and iepdata01. Identify operational processes and protocols on the SRS network. Deployed a private software repository owned by ESUCC on Github.com. All software code will live here Best way for programmers to communicate changes before code deployment (Cost $25/month) Developing disaster recovery plan. Secured operational use of hardware at ESU 3 for mirroring SRS process. Goal is to be down less than 2 hours in case of major outage. Backups Enhanced and deployed an extensive database backup process. Secured SRS machine images and deployed them on hardware at ESU3. Gives SRS the beginnings of a disaster recovery site. Allows the ESUCC techs to have a development site. (Important). Security Deployed SRS network along with other networks behind a Fortigate firewall. Deployed vpn to Soliant developers and others associated with open access to the SRS networks. Allows full access to servers for maintenance. A major security concern resolved. Need to identify access security concerns. Hardware Hardware is very old. Major concern being addressed is lack of disk space. Requires extensive planning for resolution: Not easy process to extend server disk images due to age/operation of virtualization software. Currently, there is no easy way to covert the existing Xen Virtualization environment to another Virualizaiton environment such as Microsoft or KVM. New hardware on way. Currently we are mocking up the new hardware on the ESU 3 hardware. Christmas would be a good time to move. In the meantime, the two environments at ESU3 will be hardware for the disaster recovery (mirror Lincoln) and the new hardware deployment. Software 5 main software being addressed. Zend 5.6. Php Postgresql Apache web server: Server operating systems are old. We will be moving from Centos 5.8 to Ubuntu 14.04. All upgrades are on hold until tested in development environment at ESU3. This is currently a major focus.

4. Next Meeting Agenda Items
Discussion

Invite Steve Milliken to Special Populations. Wade to demo AAP site.

5. Executive Session
Rationale

The ESU Coordinating Council is authorized by state statute to enter into executive session. Executive session may be held when clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual. Reasons that meet this standard include but are not limited to: (a) strategy sessions with respect to collective bargaining, real estate matters, pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body; (b) discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices; (c) investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct; (d) evaluation of the job performance of a person when necessary to prevent needless injury to the reputation of a person and if such person has not requested a public meeting; and (e) legal advice.

Explanation

At this point, it is appropriate for the Board to meet in closed session for one of the stated matters and/or any other permissible closed session matters in compliance with the law.

PROPOSAL:

That the Board hold a closed session:

1. For strategy session with respect to negotiations/collective bargaining clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

2. For strategy session with respect to property/real estate matters clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

3. For strategy session with respect to pending litigation, or litigation which is imminent as evidenced by communication of a claim or threat of litigation to or by the public body clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

4. For discussion regarding deployment of security personnel or devices clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

5. For investigative proceedings regarding allegations of criminal misconduct clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. For personnel and the evaluation of job performance clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

7. For discussions of the legal consequences of specific action and legal advice clearly necessary for the protection of the public interest or for the prevention of needless injury to the reputation of an individual in compliance with the law.

6. Adjournment
Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  Motion to adjourn at 3:00 PM passed with a motion by Beatty ESU 16 and a second by Uhing ESU 01.