Lower Platte North NRD
July 30, 2015 9:00 AM
Projects Committee Meeting
1. SWCP
Attachments
1.a. SWCP Application Approvals
Rationale

None

1.b. SWCP Payments
Rationale

Johnathon Temme Boone County Trees $ 212.63

Recommended Motion

* To pay Johnathon Temme $212.63 cost share for tree planting in Boone County

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  * To pay Johnathon Temme $212.63 cost share for tree planting in Boone County passed with a motion by Lon Olson and a second by Don Veskerna.

1.c. SWCP Cancellations
Rationale

None

1.d. Cottonwood Creek Payments
Rationale

Helen Brabec Basins/Tile $ 5,015.50

 (This payment should bring us very close to our $ 75,000 matching funds for Czechland, in-lake project)

Recommended Motion

* To approve a $5,015.50 SWCP cost share payment to Helen Brabec, as shown in the Projects Committee Minutes

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  * To approve a $5,015.50 SWCP cost share payment to Helen Brabec, as shown in the Projects Committee Minutes passed with a motion by Bob Clausen and a second by Don Veskerna.

1.e. Sand/Duck Creek Approvals
Rationale

None

1.f. Sand/Duck Cost Share Payment
Rationale

None

1.g. Wahoo Creek Cost Share Approvals
Rationale

Wahoo Creek Watershed Payments:

Gregg Fujan Terraces/Tile & Basins $ 5,320.67

Martin Barry Terraces/Tile $    303.89

Don Furasek Terraces/Tile & Waterway $    729.87

TOTAL: $ 6,354.43

Attachments
Recommended Motion

* To approve Wahoo Creek Watershed cost share payments totaling $6,354.43,as shown in the Projects Committee Minutes

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  * To approve Wahoo Creek Watershed cost share payments totaling $6,354.43,as shown in the Projects Committee Minutes passed with a motion by Don Veskerna and a second by Dave Saalfeld.

2. WATERSHEDS
2.a. Shell Creek Watershed
2.a.1. Approving SCWIG as LPNNRD Advisory Sub-committee
Rationale

Over the last several months we have been working toward making the Shell Creek Watershed Improvement Group (SCWIG) devolve as a separate entity and become an advisory sub-committee to LPNNRD.  As part of this process, we have accepted sponsorship of SCWIG's existing Nebraska Environmental Trust (NET) grant and are also sponsoring their new grant.  In February, Jovan Lausterer outlined several steps (attached) that should be taken for making SCWIG strictly our advisers and be covered under our liability insurance.  We need to formally appoint SCWIG as our advisory subcommittee, formally ratify the draft set of policies for the group, and affirm SCWIG's Chair and Co-Chair.     

Attachments
Recommended Motion

To appoint the Shell Creek Watershed Improvement Group (SCWIG) as our advisory subcommittee, formally ratify the draft set of policies for the group, as attached to the Projects Committee Minutes, and affirm SCWIG Sub-Committee Co-Chair's Matt Bailey & Ray Flood and Secretary Gene Wissenburg

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  To appoint the Shell Creek Watershed Improvement Group (SCWIG) as our advisory subcommittee, formally ratify the draft set of policies for the group, as attached to the Projects Committee Minutes, and affirm SCWIG Sub-Committee Co-Chair's Matt Bailey & Ray Flood and Secretary Gene Wissenburg passed with a motion by Bob Clausen and a second by Dave Saalfeld.

2.a.2. Establishment of Part-Time Shell Creek Coordinator Position
Rationale

The Shell Creek Watershed Improvement Group established a Coordinator position several years ago to work closely withthe  group, organizing meetings, providing grant and program administration and provide a host of other duties. LPNNRD has effectively teamed with the coordinator to organize and advance SCWIG activities and needs.  The position has been funded by NDEQ or NET grants and has proven to be an effective means to help accomplish SCWIG business.  LPNNRD has accepted the responsibility for SCWIG's existing and recent NET grants and would like to continue with the coordinator position to assist with Shell Creek activities and grant administration.  Melissa Foreman has been the coordinator for several years now (housed at the Columbus NRCS office) and our desire is to establish a part-time Shell Creek Coordinator position at LPNNRD (job description attached) and hire her to continue with her duties.  The part-time position will average about 20 hours per month (up to a maximum of 40 hours) and it is intended to continue to fund it through grants.  Her current rate of pay is $19/hour, with no benefits.   The Executive Committee will be addressing this issue and will bring forth a recommendation to the Board.

Attachments
2.b. Wahoo Creek Watershed
Rationale

Gottschalk and Mountford met with JEO and Saunders County (Steve Mika) on July 23 to review and prioritize potential grade stabilization and dam sites in the Wahoo Creek Watershed.  We will be working with JEO and NRCS to put together new grant applications for Wahoo Creek to fund a grade stabilization structure and a small dam.  We are also looking to apply for additional grant funding for landowner conservation practices and for our Lands for Conservation Program.

3. LOWER PLATTE RIVER CORRIDOR ALLIANCE
3.a. LPRCA Monthly Report
Rationale

There were two companies that submitted bids for the obstruction removal at Two Rivers-Hawkins Construction and Valley Corp.  Hawkins Construction submitted the low bid of $1,125,940.37.  Valley Corp's bid was significantly higher at $2.7 million.  Olsson Associate's estimate for construction was $1,102,000.  We currently have $1,204,000 on hand between NRD funds and grant funds.  Approval of the low bid was approved by LPSNRD's subcommittee and Board next Wednesday, June 15th and things are moving forward.  Construction can begin on August 15th.  The Corps approved the plans from Hawkins and the pre-construction meeting is Thursday, July 30, (today) at 9:00 am at Two Rivers.  Hawkins construction schedule is attached.

The Kayak Tour went very well. They had 37 participants and 5 speakers (including Meghan).  Speakers included the Lower Platte Weed Management Area; Nebraska Game and Parks Non-game bird program; the Daugherty Water for Food Institute; UNO’s Nebraska Watershed Network; and the Nebraska Land trust.  Lon Olson and Don Veskerna participated.    

Meghan has started working on several grant applications related to the water quality management plan implementation that will be submited in September.  

The Quarterly Meeting is Tuesday, August 4th at 9 a.m. at Mahoney State Park (agenda attached).

 Meghan will submit a full written report for the Board Meeting.

  

Attachments
4. OTHER
4.a. Army COE 205 Projects
4.a.1. Fremont 205
Rationale

As reported a the O, E, & RW Committee Meeting, the Feasibility Cost Share Agreement (FCSA) has been approved and signed by both the NRD and the COE, the Corps is asking for a payment of $100,000 in August. 

The Corps will also ask for $100,000 in September and the remaining $75,000 in the Spring of 2016.

Staff has sent our partners (Fremont, Dodge County, & Inglewood) a letter and Amended Inter-Local agreement requesting payment from each.  The payment percentages are 12.10%, 10.85% and 2.05% respectively.

4.a.2. Schuyler 205
Rationale

Mike Murren reported the following: 

The City of Schuyler is looking for a Contactor to install drainage pipe on the Jedlicka property, and minor grading near QC supply.

TJC has finished final grading on the Jedlicka property. 

No date has been set for a final inspection.

Attached find a white paper summarizing the history of the Schuyler 205 project and the design investigations. 

Attachments
4.b. Shell Creek Landowner Levee Project Update
4.c. All Hazard Mitigation Plan Update JEO Progress Report - Becky Appleford, JEO
Rationale

Our District-wide All Hazard Mitigation Plan has been officially adopted by NEMA/FEMA and we are moving into implementation.  Becky Appleford with JEO was present to give details on our completed plan.  

4.d. Review of FY 2016 Projects Budget
4.e. Mike Chvatal Dam Assistance Request
Rationale

Mike Chvatal is interested in repairing a small old dam located above our Cottonwood Creek Floodwater Dam Site 21-A, near Malmo.  Earlier this year, Mike purchased 80 acres above this site and is evaluating options for restoring the small dam (a portion of the embankment has been washed out) which would act a a silt trap above the larger dam.   In the past, LPNNRD has given priority to conservation practices located above our dams, so this request is being investigated.   We normally do not provide funds for dam repair, but under certain circumstances we have done so.   In this case, it appears that this old was not a structure designed by NRCS and it appears to have been a landowner project where an earth embankment was built with no tube.  Mike is working with a contractor to get a rough cost estimate, but it questionable if we will have any involvement. For LPNNRD to be involved, it appears that the best route may be for Mike to apply for EQIP or SWCP funding to build a new structure designed by NRCS.  Mr. Chavtal may attend the September 3rd Projects Committee Meeting to discuss this project. 

Attachments
4.f. Wahoo to Lake Wanahoo Trail
Rationale

LPNNRD has approved allowing a portion of the Wahoo to Lake Wanahoo trail to be located on our property with the direction that the trail be located near the south and west boundary just below Lake Wanahoo Dam.  Curt Hohn has requested that the trail footprint be relocated to a diagonal alignment as shown on the attached map.  Both city officials and NRD staff support the new alignment as there will be a cost savings to the project, grade (percent slope) will be reduced and drainage will be easier to accommodate.  Landowners Curt & Sandi Hohn and Kevin Stuhr, City of Wahoo, were present to support the proposed new trail alignment 

 

 

Attachments
Recommended Motion

* To approve relocation of the Wahoo to Lake Wanahoo trail alignment as shown on the map attached to the Projects Committee Minutes

Actions Taken

Motion Passed:  * To approve relocation of the Wahoo to Lake Wanahoo trail alignment as shown on the map attached to the Projects Committee Minutes passed with a motion by Bob Clausen and a second by Larry Feala.

5. WESTERN SARPY/CLEAR CREEK LEVEE REPORT
Rationale

Mike Murren reported the following: 

Segment 4B

The Army COE will conduct a final project inspection on Wednesday, August 5th at 1:00 p.m.

Contractor is finishing fencing, installing gates and restoring the temporary easement area.

Segment 5

The following items are left to be done:

1) Installing Culverts

2) Road Surfacing

3) Gate Installation

4) Levee Surfacing

Contractor will be working at Camp Ashland staring August 10th  

 

 

6. ADJOURNMENT
Rationale

With no further business, the Projects Committee adjourned at 10:27 a.m.